Zalgo's Intervention

Chapter Forty Nine

||KIT||

"Thanks for coming to get me," I spoke at Zalgo's back once we had arrived at our destination. He went over to the bar at the corner of the room we were in, now back at his 'hotel'. The shelves that lined the walls were stacked with bottles containing fluorescent liquids of all colors.

Popping a bottle open he took a swig of the contents and turned to me, "you're quite the thrill-seeker I see."

I shook my head, chewing on my lower lip in embarrassment, "what makes you think that?"

"I've been keeping tabs on you."

He'd said that so casually I almost missed what it implied and I was about to complain before I realized if he hadn't been, my night might've ended very differently.

"Lucky I got there when I did."

I nodded in agreement.

He watched me for a few seconds, "it appears your relationship is being tested, doesn't it?"

"My relationship is fine," I hugged my arms, looking away.

He smirked, "is that so? You seem to be having a hard time."

I rubbed my left arm, chewing on my lip still, "it's not his fault he's been called away."

"You think his loyalty to Slenderman is the reason behind his actions?"

I lifted my shoulders on a shrug.

Based on everything I knew and what I saw on the camera, Masky had been going on these missions for a long time and who's to say that he could break away whenever he wanted? Maybe he was being controlled.

I imagined The Tall Man would not be happy with him spending his time with me instead of 'working'. At least, that explanation made more sense to me. It made a lot more sense than Masky choosing to avoid me for other more personal reasons.

I tried not to think about what he'd said to me when he had me pinned to the bed, that murderous look in his eyes.

'You're not special.'

I knew that.

I'd always known I wasn't anything special but hearing him say it was a new kind of pain. If he didn't think I was special then why did he say his feelings for me were incomparable to love? What was it then? How did I truly make him feel?

Maybe his illness was just getting worse.

Either way, I had told him that I loved him and the more I'd said it, the more I felt it. I was met with doubt but I was still determined to prove it true. Even if he didn't believe me I would keep showing him until he felt secure enough to say it back.

I'd decided to make that my goal now.

This way, him distancing himself from me was nothing I couldn't handle.

"Makes me want to see how this will all play out," Zalgo grinned, "is it destined to be a tragedy or will it have a fairytale ending?"

"You think we have the potential for tragedy?" I asked, genuinely concerned.

Zalgo lazily arose from the chair he was sitting on, "it's already tragic, little one."

I wasn't sure how to respond.

"Drink?" he asked, offering the bottle to me.

I crinkled my nose, eyeing the suspicious liquid and he laughed, pushing the bottle into my grasp.