Because He Lived

I ran at him, pushing and shoving anyone in my way. People tried to stop me, but I wouldn't let them. Screaming his name, I collapsed on the cement next to Dylan, rubbing my hands over his chest. I put my ear to his heart and willed myself to hear, "Bum bum. Bum bum." But no sound came. Nothing. And I started freaking out.

I put my hands on his cheeks. Hands grasped my arms and tried to pull me away, but I struggled against them, slapping them away.

I plugged his nose with my fingers and smacked my mouth onto his, pumped his chest. Over and over, until I decided another method.

"Dylan," I whispered super quietly. "Hey, Dylan, how ya doing?"

"He can't hear you," one of the police officers said to me.

I turned and stared daggers at her. She back up and turned away, not wanting to mess with me.

"You're gonna be fine, Dylan. You're gonna be okay. It's all gonna be okay."

One. Last. Time. I pressed my mouth to his and gave his chest three hard pumps of my clenched fists.

And then his eyes popped open, his chest heaved upward and-

"Tessa," He choked.

*****

I sat in the hospital waiting room, next to an anxious Hoechlin and a sweaty Daniel and a crying Muse and a sobbing Holland and a stiff Crystaland a freak-of-nature Tyler. He wouldn't sit still, bouncing his knee or talking to himself. Every time a doctor came through the doors, he leapt up, hears it wasn't about Dylan, cursed and sat back down, only to do it again in three seconds. Until finally-

"Where's the family of Dylan O'Brien?"

Tyler jumped up, knocking over his chair and ran to her, flanked by Hoechlin, Holland and me on his right, and Muse, Crystal, and Daniel on his left. "Here," Tyler breathed, his pounding heart audible. I waited anxiously for her response, my heart hammering as hard and fast as Tyler's.

"You're all family?"

Tyler looked at me. I glanced at Hoechlin. Hoechlin averted his gaze to Muse, who stared at Daniel. Daniel eyed Holland. Holland took a quick glimpse of Crystal. Yes," we all said simultaneously.

She looked at us suspiciously, shook her head and said, "Okay, if you insist. Follow me."

We all sprinted after her, down what seemed like an endless hallway. She led us into a room number 217 and behind a curtain. Dylan sat upright in bed, propped up against a pillow, sipping what looked like Chicken Noodle Soup.

Tyler ran to him and threw his arms around Dylan, spilling his soup all over his pants and shirt. But neither of them cared. They just sat there, hugging each other so forcefully, I was sure they were gonna break each other.

When Tyler finally pulled away, the rest of us took our turns embracing him. When I reached down to grip him tightly, I took in his scent, happy to see him alive. I hugged him for longer than anyone (besides Tyler) for some reason, and before I pulled away, Dylan whispered in my ear.

"Thank you, Tessa. Thank you for saving my life."

And for the first time in hours, I laughed. I laughed, letting all of my fear and pain lift off my shoulders. Everyone joined me and soon, we were all laughing, crowded around Dylan's bed, enjoying his....his....aliveness.

*A/N- short chapter I know! I did it on purpose!! Muhahahaha. Lol bye lovelies💙💚💛💜❤️