20. Stay Away From My Friends

When we arrive at Ashtons house, his mum invites us into the kitchen with her. Ash and I sit at the table in the corner whilst Mikey and Cal set up Ashtons PlayStation in the living room. I smile when he pokes my thigh under the table and I poke him back, eliciting giggles from both of us.

"What are you two giggling about?" Anne teases as she begins gathering ingredients. Harry and Lauren run through the kitchen after each other and nearly knock her right over.

"And what has gotten into you two tonight?" She asks Harry and Lauren as they pick themselves up off the floor.

"You left us with the cabbage lady!" Harry shouts, referring to who I assume is the elderly woman that left when we got here.

"Her name is Sally and she's nice, don't give her mean nicknames." Anne lectures, reminding me so much of Ashton when he has to be the one to lecture his brother and sister.

"But she really does smell like cabbage, mum!" Lauren argues.

"Yeah, and she makes us sit still and be quiet!" Harry agrees.

"Well, Ashtons friends are in the living room so go bother them until I'm done making dinner, alright?" Anne negotiates. Harry and Lauren pout but go along with it and run back out of the kitchen to antagonize Michael and Calum.

"So Luke," Anne says as she continues working on the task at hand. I see Ashton shift in his seat and I can tell he's anticipating the humiliation his mother is sure to subject him to eventually.

"Ashton tells me you're good with Harry and Lauren?" She asks, looking at me for an answer since it won't be verbal. I wonder how she feels about that. Is she not too keen on the idea of her son fancying a mute boy? How did she react when Ashton told her? How did that topic come up in conversation? I nod my head, because yeah, I'd like to think I'm pretty good with the munchkins.

"That's wonderful. You know, for the first few weeks they talked to me about you almost as much as Ashton here did. Oh, and still does."

"Mum." Ashton warns.

"C'mon, no use in trying to hide it. Anyway, one day I come home and he's telling me he did it, he did it! And I'm standing there like, did what? And he's got the biggest smile on his face telling me 'I asked him out, mum, and he said yes! I took Luke on a date!'" Anne continues, not caring one bit about how red her son is turning.

"I wasn't surprised to find out he had a crush on you, that part was obvious from the first time he spoke of you. I was surprised that he had the balls to actually ask you out, though."

"Mum!" Ashton repeats, voice rising.

"I'm kidding! Calm down. You should've seen Lauren though, she looked so mad!" Anne laughs. Ashton cracks a smile at that.

"She really did. Like, be real here. You're a little kid." He joins in.

"You stole her prince charming, Ashton!" Anne jokes. Before Ash can reply, Anne drops her colander on the floor with a clang. Without thinking I rise from my seat to grab it for her.

"Thank you Luke! Ash, could you help me with the cooking? I have a feeling this kitchen will be a mess when its over with thanks to my clumsiness."

"Actually, I was gonna grab a quick shower, if that's okay? I'm still sweaty over here." He points out. I point to myself and he smiles, knowing what I'm hinting at.

"Luke wants to help you, I think?" He asks. I nod my head to both him and Anne.

"Sure! I'd love that!" Anne says, a bright smile dancing across her cheeks, reminding me of Ashton once again.