13. Romance

I have a feeling that Michael, Calum, and Ashton aren't telling me something. I mean, there's always sort of something going on between them that I don't get, but they're acting suspicious lately. It's been like this since Monday.

Like, for example, if I walk up to any of them whilst they're talking to each other, they'll all go silent and act like they weren't talking about anything to begin with. Maybe I'm just looking too far into things, maybe this is normal behavior for friends, guess I wouldn't really know. It's just weird, though. Michael is being strange, stranger than usual. There's always something up with him and he and Ashton are always teasing one another but now it seems like he only teases Ashton through whispers.

What is with all of the whispering? And all of the weird glances he's been giving Ashton? Ash always starts blushing from whatever Michael's telling him, what are they hiding from me?

Wait... Whispering, blushing, getting super embarrassed... is Michael flirting with him or something? Are they together? Is Michael cheating on Calum?

No, don't get too ahead of yourself Luke. There's got to be a better explanation, right? Michael wouldn't do that to Calum, would he? They're seriously in love. Plus, it's just too obvious! If they had a thing going on and made it so obvious that even I could notice, then Calum would've known- does he know? Is this like a three-way relationship thing?

Ashton's my best friend, though. If something like that was really happening then wouldn't he have told me?

Yeah, I don't think that's the case then. So Michael's embarrassing Ashton over something, but what? It's got to be the same thing they're always whispering about. If I'm the only one who doesn't know, then has it got something to do with me? Maybe, but I still have no idea what it could be. Do they know something about me? I rack my brain for answers but nothing comes up. Nothing fits together right. It honestly sucks, being left out of whatever it is.

Ashton's driving me to his place as soon as class ends so we can hang out, so maybe I can get it out of him when we're alone. I hope it's not bad. Could it be?

The last bell rings and I bolt out of my seat to rush straight to the front of the school. The sooner I'm alone with Ashton, the better. I see him waiting right across the street, Michael and Calum are with him. I take a deep breath and look both ways before crossing over. They do that thing again, stop talking as soon as they see me. I stifle a frown and feel a little upset when they all try to play it cool.

"Alright, see you tomorrow, Ashton!" Michael says as he pushes him a little too hard, causing him to crash into me. I catch him in my arms, steadying the both of us. Michael and Calum giggle then run off before Ashton can get back at them. He huffs and gently backs away from me.

"Sorry about him." He apologizes, irritation clear in his voice. He's bright red and won't look me in the eyes, obviously flustered. Michael's giving him a hard time as of late, that's clear to see, but what for?

"It's okay," I say politely "is he being mean to you?"

"N-no. Not really. He's just annoying me more than usual."

"What for?" I try to pass the question off as inconspicuous but Ashton grows visually uncomfortable from it. Have I done something wrong?

"Nothing. I mean, I just don't know. You know how Michael is. So, um, I was wondering if maybe you'd wanna go to yours today?" He asks, adamant on changing the subject.

"I don't mind, but what about your brother and sister?"

"Michael's mum is actually picking them up today." He answers.

"Sure then." Ashton returns to his usual bright self due to my approval then hops into his car. I follow him in and as soon as we're moving he turns the radio on for us to sing along to. Singing with Ashton takes my mind off of the weird things going on for a while.