Chapter 14: New sights (Part 4)

Comincia dall'inizio

Kyle paused but eventually followed, "You didn't really answer my question." His only comfort was that he at least had Lillia beside him.

"The mistress shall explain. I'd rather not take from her the opportunity to say it herself. She rarely has the chance after all."

"Right...."

The way down was short but opened into a vast array of rooms that went past the boundaries of the building above. If that wasn't strange enough, the contents of the room was what had them shocked. Treasures of a forgotten world that seemed to fill every nook and cranny. Simply by seeing the sight both Lillia and Kyle knew they were in over their heads. An audible gulp came from the two as they slowly followed the butler with wide eyes.

"Mistress you have some visitors," the butler came to stop in one of the few open spaces of the room.

A feminine voice filled with authority replied, "Visitors? Why isn't that a wonder." The women revealed herself and to both parties surprise they knew each other. Though visibly aged and well worked it was hard to gage just how old the lady was. Her vivid and youthful eyes held an experience that was hard to fathom. She laughed, "Well if it isn't Bethial's young companions."

"Lady Petunia Marigold?" Kyle blinked as he somehow remembered the name. She was the head of the Sweeper Camp back in the east, the same one they had visited not long after Kyle had begun his new life.

"Quite right you are," she smiled. "Did you come on an errand for the dear Captain? It's quite rare for him to send someone here personally."

Kyle quickly shook his head, "No I'm here for myself. It was Mr Devro who told me about this place."

"Dilly told you and further you're here for yourself?" her cheeks pinned back from her powerful grin. "My, my, what a treat today is. I'm sure you must be here for a good reason then."

Lillia cut in, "Hold on a moment. Just what is this place?" She frowned, "From what I can tell half of the things in here are unsanctioned goods banned by the Church."

"Quite right you are there missy," Lady Marigold replied undeterred by her comment. "This is a place where things not meant to be found are found."

Hearing that Kyle felt his chest shiver, "What kind of things?"

"Knowledge and information. Trinkets of the forgotten and erased." The lady sat down on a nearby chair as her butler dismissed himself to fetch some refreshments. "Please sit." The two looked around and could only see a pair of rather ornate and delicate looking chairs. Seeing the lady's intent gaze they did as asked. She continued, "Even before Sweepers were made legal my family made it their role to explore the world beyond the fog and from it we've collected quite the few things, as you can see. Our base of information spreads far further back then the libraries of any city. The question is what you want to know?"

Lillia spoke before Kyle could, "Before we ask anything, just what is your angle on this? How much are we paying to be here?"

Her comment caused the Lady to laugh, "Don't worry. While some people must pay for our services you will not. I'm much too curious as to why you're here."

Kyle hesitated beginning to think his simple query was getting out of hand, "I'm sorry to disappoint you but I'm really not looking for much. I just wanted to know if you had any information on devils or gods."

An unexpected silence came between them as Lady Marigold stared at him with pensive eyes. Finally she burst into a chuckle that lasted for some time, "My apologies for a moment I wasn't sure if you were serious or pulling my leg."