Chapter 11 part 3: Promise

Sage looks away from her gaze; she knows she's the one who made a mistake. The one who made the mistake of falling in love with her mortal enemy. The room went silent after Jett's sentence. It felt like a thousand years of silence. Sage knew she loved both of them, but she couldn't choose both.

"Look at me," Jett commanded at her with a gentle yet stern voice. She looks back at her with a sombered face. "How do you do it?" She white-haired girl lets out a heavy sigh at her with a puzzled look. She wanted to understand Sage. "I don't get how you managed to fell in love with a person you barely even know." She looks back at her and Sage's history, everything she did for her and her sacrifices, those little things she did. She knew she did nothing wrong; everything she was to Sage was good, unlike Reyna, a heartless person that did nothing but harm them. "We've known each other for god knows how long, and you still ended up having feelings for someone that constantly put you at harm!" Her voice was growing louder at the end, but she managed to silence herself and calm down.

She slowly reaches out for her hand, but Jett pulls away. "I'm sorry; I don't even know how to make it up to you. Everything that happened; I- I didn't want it to happen; it just did."

"Of course... That's how love works." Jett gives in to her feelings and lets her hand reunite with Sage's as if they were meant to be together. Her blue eyes meet her dark brownish eyes. She pulled her into a hug. A hug that made her feel like she was complete in her arms. It was gentle and passionate, yet it felt like hugging a bunch of broken shards of glass. "I don't know why I can't seem to bring myself to hate you," Jett whispered to her ear softly. Sage tightens her grasp with her eyebrows knitting together. "Choose wisely, Sage. But if she hurts you one tiny bit, I won't hesitate to use my knives on her." Jett inhaled deeply, savoring Sage's scent, unsure how limited her is time with her.

"I don't want to let go of you. I know I said that you should just let go of me instead of liking us both, but the truth is I want you to choose me." She says as her hands hold her much closer with a hint of possessiveness in her touch. "And I'm scared; what if I won't be able to free you when you actually do let go of me? Promise me that our friendship won't end if whatever we have ends."

Jett intertwines both of her hands in Sage's, which she returns. And with a small smile and a despaired look, she replies, "I promise." That was enough for Jett to feel reassured that even if their romance ends, there will still be the old them before everything went downhill, and by that, she means before Sage and Reyna had their deal.

Although she has to admit that looking at her dark brownish eyes will never be the same if she chooses Reyna over her, hearing her sweet voice will never be as sweet as it was once before, and even a little brush on her skin will never feel the same because it is true that even if there are no changes on the outside, there will always be a change on their feelings. The conversation leaves the duelist in heartache even if she still didn't make her choice; she's fearful that she wouldn't be the one Sage chooses and that she has to deal with the aftermath of what happens.

Looking at a lovely sunset would be painful. To be reminded of the feeling Jett and Sage once shared. Even though the night is beautiful, nothing compares to when she feels the sun on her skin and remembers Sage's warmth. The sunshine makes her remember the warmth of her love; she makes the rain feel like the sound of her voice.

Suddenly someone knocks on the door, making the two of them look in its direction. "Sage, can you uh... come out for a sec." It was Brimstone with an anxious tone in his voice. Jett looked at her with a small smile, but it looked pained. She lets go of her hand and rushes to the door. Jett watched Sage go as she sat on the bed, thinking she'd leave her just like that for Reyna. She felt like she was going insane with the feelings and thoughts occurring to her.

"What's wrong?" Sage looked at Brimstone, who looked hesitant to say something. She closes the door behind her after seeing the look on his face, wanting the conversation to be more private. "Why do you look like that?" Sage asked him with worry, concerned that somebody may require her healing abilities.

The man takes a deep breath and looks into her eyes as he places a hand on her shoulder. "Sage, I know you'd be mad at this, but we need you to get information out of Reyna for the next mission." He looks at her with a monotone look on his face. He looked serious, but she was shocked.

"Are you telling me to take advantage of her?" She questioned him with a tinge of disbelief in her voice.

A shorter agent reveals herself behind Brimstone and replies, "Well... when you put it like that." She pushes her glasses up the bridge of her nose and chuckles nervously after seeing the look on Sage's face. "Sage, I know this sounds bad, but this could give us a great advantage for the next mission." Killjoy reasoned, showing her laptop to Sage with data. "This bar chart shows how much upper hand we can have for the next mission. We are at least going to be 35% more successful at defeating them the next mission than them defeating us." The girl wearing a funky yellow jacket explained.

"Maybe she's doing a 'keep your enemies closer' thing, Sage." Brimstone looked at her with concern. "You know Reyna plays dirty tricks, it's just maybe she has a plan, and she's using you." He removes his hand on her shoulder and looks at the girl beside him.

She doesn't believe them, but a part of her is. Everything was too much for her. They were right, and she felt stupid for not thinking about it. She recalls what Reyna just said to her earlier that day about her and the deal. "She... She wouldn't do that." She pushes it aside, wanting to trust this person, this new person. The new Reyna she knows and not the one everyone knows her to be. "I know she doesn't play by the rules, but I know she wouldn't do that, and we shouldn't too. Also, aren't you and Viper a thing? Why would you suggest that?" Sage looks at Killjoy with her eyes narrowing in suspicion.

A smile lingers on the corner of her mouth gently in response. "Yes, but I told her the plan, but she says she's not involved in Reyna's agenda if she ever has one."

"And how do you know she's telling the truth or if she's the one using you?" Sage raised her brows and looked at her once more, interrogating her.

"It's going to sound cheesy, but I know because I trust her, and I-"

"Then you know exactly how I feel."

-----
Thanks for reading this chapter!

SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATE 💀 also there's been an update on the agents real names, so I might update some chapters

Have a nice day!! <33