Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Augustus' POV

"Have you seen Tallulah?" I asked Jake as I passed him.

"She went looking for Ivy. Check the bathrooms." He suggested before turning away. I didn't have the patience to scour the castle for her. I sent Harth into the hall, tracking her scent down. I waited, mindlessly filling my drink before Harth tracked her upstairs. I called him back before checking the time, it was late. Late enough to retire and not seem like a bad host.

"Hey, I'm calling it a night. Can you handle this?" I briefed Emil. He nodded, smiling as he knew what was to occur tonight.

"I'll see you at breakfast. Free will and all." He joked. I knew he was nervous. But I was intent on proving him wrong, proving everyone wrong. Tallulah satiated Harth, his darkness has shifted into love for her. He no longer sought petty kills, I actually think he preferred a night with her in his arms than any kind of torturous rage.

I made my way upstairs, setting down my empty glass and sliding off my heavy coat. I could hear her in the bathroom, freshening up. I knocked softly, listening in on her unsteady breath.

"One second." She sounded short of breath, the faucet was running but I could tell it wasn't in use. I went to turn the handle, it was locked.

"Tulip, are you okay?" I asked, sensing her anxious heart. She quickly shut off the faucet, opening the door abruptly.

"I'm fine, just a little stressed." She sighed before reluctantly looking up at me. I leaned for her, grazing my fingers along her rosy cheek.

"We'll find your mom. I promise. Ryuu will get back to us as soon as the shadow demon returns." I explained softly. She nodded and drew her gaze down. I didn't realize how upset she was. I would have remained at her side, maybe called the night earlier on. I always forgot how good she was at masking, hiding her unwanted emotions.

"Hey." I whispered, pulling at her chin to draw her gaze back up to me.

"I love you." I told her honestly.

"I love you too." She whispered in return. I stepped forward, leaning down to her for a kiss. She abruptly took a step back, her body shaking. I narrowed my eyes.

"Tallualh. What's going on?" She was acting out of sorts. Her skin didn't glow, and she looked at me the way a gazelle would a lion.

"I'm nervous." She quickly let out,  fiddling with her small fingers. Of course she was nervous. I was suppose to bring her to the brink of death. Any sane person would feel unsettled by that idea.

"We don't need to do this tonight. Just the fact that you're willing has shown me enough grace." I eased her mind. She held my gaze, darting between my eyes as if looking for something. Harth felt unsettled inside me. She was so close but I don't think I've ever felt so emotionally distant.

"Can I bathe you?" I asked her softly, maybe she needed to relax. She shook her head, peering down the hall.

"Maybe we can hang out, just us? Some good music and a drink?" She reached for my hand, interlocking her fingers with mine. I pulled her small hand to my mouth, kissing her silk skin.

"Of course."

She led the way out to the living area, quickly turning on her toes to kiss me. My cold skin warmed at the affection, until I felt how stiff her lips were. Before I could say anything she smiled and turned with a hop in her step. My mate wasn't acting herself.

"You pick music, I'll pour drinks." She made her way to the bar. I skimmed the records, picking out something upbeat, she loved dancing, and maybe that's what she needed. I liked seeing her cute frame bounce around to a good song.