Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Tilly's POV

I held the stone tight in my palm, worried my sweat would negatively affect the spell. Augustus put a reassuring hand at my back, drawing my gaze up to him.

"You're with me." He whispered. I couldn't tell if it was a question or a reminder. If it was a question I didn't have an answer for myself let alone him. His small stone was lost in his fist, his body so calm and relaxed.

Hiram's plan was to have a witch cast our sightless spell, drawing it into the stones we held in our hands. He wasn't too happy to hear of my plea to come along. So we stood in silence on the barren land of the east border, the dirt road in front of us, and the dense brush wood on the other side.

I stared at the woods, so dark that my eyes were fooling me with false movement. I wondered if they'd come. If the rebellion would be there, waiting for our empty box truck to raid. I hoped they weren't. The guard that stood behind us was strong, at least a dozen of them, ready to defend the sanctions property.

The sound of the slow vehicle had my head turning, the dusty white truck was on its way. All eyes were on it, I glanced back to the dim forest, hearing the rustle of leaves. There was no breeze. It was them. I could feel it. I sent a prayer to the fates that it was no one I knew, no one I grew fond of. My grip on my stone loosened, everyone could feel the dwindling magic on my end. If I dropped my stone they'd see us. They'd run.

"Get yourself together." Hiram hissed toward me while keeping his gaze locked on the truck.

My eyes followed a swift movement, a girl. Looking around my age. Long black hair braided tightly to her head. She wore my fathers fighting leathers, dirty worn ones. My heart raced when I saw the group following her. My fathers people. All rebellions, young as if they had just started training. I took a step forward, scared for their lives. They grew up in the camps, their participation was blind. Augustus' hand clamped down on mine.

"Don't." He breathed. I could feel my air dwindling, I was caught in what I should do. I heard the guard preparing their weapons, watching the crew with a cold eye. What would my father want? Would he want me to watch while his people got slaughtered? If I helped them it would most definitely blow my cover. They'd see where my loyalty lies.

The crew looked as if they've done this a million times. They scattered on all sides of the road, keeping themselves hidden just enough. The truck was nearing. The young girl drew an arrow, sliding it into place before pulling it back like a true artist. She aimed for the driver with a steady hand. Little did she know that arrow wouldn't penetrate the thin windows. They were sealed tight, ensuring the drivers safety.

Once they shot it would be our turn to retaliate. To kill them. All of them. My hand shook, my blood ran cold as I recognized a broody old soldier. His body bigger than the rest, his face worn from years of fighting, and his hair still tied in that ratty old bun. Grut. It was Grut. My body chose for me. I dropped my stone in an instant.

"Run!" I screamed, throwing myself in the street. Wide eyes turned down the road, me and the others behind me on full display. I met eyes with Grut before he scanned the guard behind me. Within seconds the royal guard went hurling for the crew.

"Go!" Grut roared to his team of young fighters. They listened, quickly turning to disappear into the dark wood. But Grut stayed, his two long daggers in hand as he used his demon power to split the earth between us. I've never seen his demon ability up close. The ground shook, I felt cold firm hands pulling me back, Augustus held me tight to his chest as his guard charged the gap in the earth, jumping across, some falling to a deep demise. My heart fell to the pit of my stomach.