Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Augustus' POV

"I'm not sure your mate is fit for a personality as murderous as yours." Hiram spoke up while the mess of blood left it's trail out the door. My guests went about their business. It wasn't the first time I had killed someone at an event, and it probably wouldn't be the last.

"My mate is a 17 year old mortal. She is malleable." I assured him, along with the others. This party felt different than others. I didn't enjoy the drunk banter and feeding as much as I used to. I spent hours listening to them while my mind drifted to Tallulah. She made me want to do mundane things, things I'd usually find boring. She made boring activities enticing.

"How is she going to feel when we murder her father?" He asked. I truly didn't know the answer to that question. It was something she didn't have a say in.

"She's no longer tied to him. The rebellion made her exile clear the moment she saved me on pack land." I reminded him of Tallulah's heroic act. If not for her I'd be ash. That reminder seemed to please him. Hiram ran one of my largest sanctions, he liked to think he was as dark as I was. But he didn't have a demon pulling him like me. I wasn't just thirsty for blood, a part of me wanted to bathe in it. The fear in an innocents eyes was the only thing that brought me joy and control. Until now.

I turned my head when Tallulah's scent wafted my way. She walked in with my sister, her face stone cold as she stepped over the blood trail. I wasn't the only one watching her as she made her way to the bar, guests parting way for her, afraid to even brush against her. I had given her my affect. My ability to walk through a room and never once change course. People parted like the sea and I was happy they were now treating my mate the same.

"The wolf. Who is he?" Dominic stood, another nosy lord as he watched Jake make his way to Tilly.

"A friend of mine." Jax spoke up as he stepped to the raised marble. I smiled at his interruption. He made his way to Emil, they eyed each other comfortingly.

"Our Penny is ready for bed." He whispered toward him. A couple of lords shot looks their way, knowing exactly what that meant.

"Have fun Emil." Dominic smiled. Emil stood and shook each lords hand, addressing them by name before making his way to me.

"Brother." I smiled, he turned a reluctant grin.

"King." He spoke in return before nodding his head and leaving. It was a subtle insult. Emil only referred to me as King when I was acting soulless. The muscle in my jaw feathered. None of my actions are new, yet he was displeased with my public assault. Only because it involved Tallulah.

"I'd like to have a word with your mate." Hiram spoke it as a question. I smiled but shook my head.

"I think my mate is done with conversation tonight." I told him sternly. He hesitated but nodded in respect.

"Then I think I'm ready to retire for the night." He spoke toward the other lords. I was silent as they bid their goodbyes, their gaze latched to Tallulah as they made their exit. After the lords left many others followed. The party was dying down, only a few of my personals standing watch while the servers began cleaning the place. I was ready for bed. And by the looks of it I was going to get an earful from Tallulah. She needed to understand her place. No matter how deeply I felt for her, I will be respected in my kingdom.

Flora shot me a stale stare as her and my mate downed their second shot. She was helping Tallulah cope, and I was fine with that. But I was sick and tired of my family gazing at me in that way, as if they were disappointed.

I made my way to them, eager for a drink refill. Before I could make it there Jake stood in front of me. I almost chuckled at the sight.

"If you care about her you will leave her alone. For now." He spoke bitterly. I narrowed my gaze.