Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Tilly's POV

I Sparta kicked Jake square in the chest when he tried pinning me. My weak kick only had him slightly stumbling.

"You really need to work on your strength." He laughed as he man handled me back down to the ground. I sighed and admitted defeat as he dug my wrists into the moist grass.

"My strength is mortal. But I could break every bone in your body if I wanted to." I hissed playfully. I was waiting for his shake of the head chuckle, but it never came. He looked serious. I was suddenly reminded of our predicament, his body on top of mine.

"Ask Augustus to leave with me one of these days." He changed the subject. He had been going to town quite a bit and wanted me to join. I wiggled my fingers as they were going numb under his pressure, he released my hands but didn't get off of me.

"Getting bored on your lonesome adventures?" I teased. He brought his hand to my face sliding a stray hair behind my ear. I froze, we were both sweaty, skin touching under the rays of the heat.

He drew his face forward after seeing how captured I was. I dug my head into the grass, feeling his breath on my lips.

"He'll kill you." I let out quickly. Jake shook his head.

"He needs me." He whispered. Needs you? Why would Augustus need you?

He brought his face so close to mine that I closed my eyes, prepared to feel his kiss. Jake was handsome, and sweet. He made me laugh and always checked in. He was perfect. Why wouldn't I want him? Because I wanted Augustus. I wanted the man I was here to kill.

Jakes kiss never came, but I felt every one of his breaths as he hovered over my mouth. I opened my eyes as he pulled away.

"I'm sorry." He murmured, standing to his feet. I shook my head.

"If it weren't for the summer heat, I think I would have enjoyed it." I admitted. Jake made me feel things, good things. Different than the King. But we were messy. He was in love with someone already and I had an infatuation with another.

"Then let's get you in an ice bath." He flirted. I stood up with the help of his warm hand, his fingers felt there way up my arm. He was exploring his feelings.

"Do I feel like her?" I asked.

"I don't know." He confided before letting me go. We were teetering on the line. Jake seemed to have no fear when it came to Augustus.

"Going into town again Jake?" Jax spoke up as we made our way inside the air conditioned house. Jake glanced down to me before nodding.

"You mind if I tag along?" Jax was already dressed for the day, eager for a yes out of Jake.

"Of course you can come!" I answered for him. Jake had a special hatred for Jax. And he needed to let it go, Jax has been dying for some lycan company and hasn't given up on him since he's arrived.

"All three of us can go." I beamed at them. Jax laughed a little too hard.

"Augustus said you could leave the grounds? With Jake?" He prodded me.

"Well no. But he will. What's his number?" I quickly asked. Jax's smile was wide as he tugged his phone from his pocket, dialing before handing me his cell. I walked away from them and created a silent barrier, there was no way they were gonna hear me beg...

"Yes Jax?" His voice was serious, as if he were in the middle of something.

"The boys are going into town. I'd really like it if you let me go with them." I didn't bother with the pleasantries.