I shrug. "I haven't got around to it."

"Could you delete it?"

I nod to assure him. "I will." I call. I place the phone to my ear. I'm stunned by how quick she answers. "Is everything okay? What's wrong??!" There's pure panic in her voice.

"Hey, it's me. Everything's good. I'm just calling to tell you to get inside; there's a storm coming."

"We're heading back now, be there in about fifteen minutes."

"Okay, good, drive safe."

"We will, hon."

I hang up and give Brad back his phone. "They're on the way." I glance over at the small sofa. "I hope that lets out into a daybed." Brad rubs his eyes. I realize they're red from lack of sleep...or from crying. "Sorry I woke you up."

"That's okay. You're looking better; your color is coming back."

"I must have looked like a ghost, huh?"

"A little." I peer down at my hands and then look at him through my lashes. He acts as if this gesture sweeps him off his feet. Brad does the breathless thing again. I've stolen air from his lungs. "You're so beautiful."

I snort. "No, I'm not. I gotta look terrible."

"You don't." He leans forward to kiss me softly.

"Aww." I give him a nose nookie. "Stop being so sweet."

"No." I laugh at his bluntness. A striking bolt of lightning blinds the sky. A monstrous wave of thunder makes me yelp. Brad snickers. His full lips linger on mine and curl into a smile. He peers down at me. Once again, the look of eternal desire returns. "I need to tell you something." He whispers. "Maddy...I lo-"

I place a finger on his lips. "You can't say that yet!"

"Why not?"

"Because you can't...that's supposed to come later."

"Says who?" He kisses my finger, then moves my palm to his mouth to do the same.

"Says the rules." I blurt.

"I can't help how I feel."

"How are you even there yet? I'm not...I mean, I like you a lot, but... Are you sure?"

"I am."

"But...how???"

Brad is amused by my question. "You're asking me how I lo-"

"Ahh, don't say it!" I cut him off. "Just answer."

He strokes a line from my palm to my inner wrist. "I just do."

"I need a better explanation than that."

"Everything doesn't need an explanation. I can't help how I feel."

"You're just saying this because I'm hurt; you think you have to say it."

"No, I'm not. I wanted to tell you at my place. I chose not to."

"Why?"

"I wasn't sure..."

"What makes you sure now?"

Brad's eyes lower to my wrapped-up arms and remain there. "Seeing you covered in blood...and lifeless scared me more than anything. I knew if you were to..." He huffs and stares at me sorrowfully, "if you had gone from this world, I would have followed you." A wounded expression belonging to an abandoned dog seizes his soul.

My breaths catch in my lungs; my mouth drops. "You can't possibly mean that."

"I do."

"You must still be in shock or something."