1

Five years later...

"Avery-May! Get back here now!" I yelled, running after my five year old.

"No!" She squealed, running into the bathroom.

I was just trying to get her ready for school, but she didn't want to go, I guess. She was now running around in her underwear, because she won't let me get her in her cute little outfit.

"Daddy, don wanna wear a dwess."

"Ok, go in your closet and find something. You have school in twenty minutes."

"I don know time." She muttered, running out of the room and back upstairs to her bedroom. I suppressed a laugh and moved to make some coffee.

I made us some eggs, and listened in case something happened to her. As soon as I finished the food, Avery came into the kitchen dressed, and seemingly unharmed.

"Daddy! I dressed!" I turned around and saw her in some crème-ish shorts, and a plain black t-shirt. She had knee-high, ruffly socks, and some leopard print boots.

"Oh, baby." I mumbled, seeing her lip tremble. "It's gorgeous." I said, making her smile. She sat at the table and ate her eggs, running to the living room after to grab her backpack.

"I ready!!" She screamed, making me put the dishes in the sink and run out to her. As soon as I got to her, she whined about me being slow, and how she wanted to get to school early.

"Why? Is there a crush?"

"Wot? Don know what dat is. But, anyway, I've got a boyfwiend." She said casually, running out as soon as I opened the front door.

"Wait...what?!" I ran after her.

<~>

I was sitting at the local diner, where I worked on weekends, but I was waiting for my friend, Selena. She has a baby boy, and a son that was Avery's age, so we met through a school function, and we've been best friends ever since.

"Oh my God, I'm sorry. Isaac wouldn't eat, and Axel was being a bitch. I'm sorry, but he was. Is it bad to say I'm glad he goes to school?" Selena said, sitting down at the table next to me. She had her baby, Baylor, tucked into her chest with a baby carrier.

"You are a bad mom."

"Hey! You try dealing with two boys!"

"You try dealing with a girl, by yourself. At least you have Tay."

"She's a bad mom too, we're both horrible."

"I'm gonna tell her you said that."

"No, she'll beat my ass." She chuckled, making me smirk. She slapped me lightly, as the waitress, Yasmine, one of my friends when I work here, came over.

"My favorite two costumers." Yasmine smiled, saying hi to Isaac in a baby voice.

"What about me?" I gasped, pretending to be hurt.

"Your kinda annoying. Anygays, what can I get you guys?"

"Just a black coffee and a muffin." Selena said.

"Cheesecake, and a vanilla iced coffee."

"Ok, that'll be right up." Yasmine said, leaving us.

<~>

After my brunch with Selena, I went back home, to continue writing. I worked for a online blog-type thing. My due date for this column is Friday and it's Monday.

After about two hours, I finished most of the column, I decided to head to the grocery store. I haven't been in a while and we don't have much food left.

I texted Selena, asking her to meet me, since I don't fancy going shopping myself. You never know who could murder you while you're out. I got a text back, saying she could go, but she only had about thirty minutes before she had to go pick up Axel for his dentist appointment.

I met up with her at our local grocery shop, and we walked in.

"Ok, so, we need food."

"Nah, really?" Selena fake-gasped, being overly dramatic.

"Hey, don't you have a baby?" I asked, grabbing a basket and laughing at her.

"Oh shit, I left him in the car." She said, staring at me. It was times like these I couldn't tell if she was joking or not. "Geez, im kidding." She wheezed, "My mom wanted to hangout with him for a bit, Tay's picking him up when she's done at the studio."

I nodded and tried to get my heart beating again. Jesus, I love that child, i couldn't imagine if something bad happened to him.

"Maybe you should date?"

"What?!" I almost screamed, making people look at us weirdly. I went into the candy aisle, gotta get the essentials.

"Like, it's been what? Five years? And a few months. You need to get back out there. Plus, that hot guy over there is looking at you." She said, pointing over to the frozen aisle, where a big, buff, puppy-looking guy was not-so subtly staring.

"Holy shit." I mumbled, my body feeling weird.

"Dude, this is sad. You're whipped and you haven't even talked to him." Selena laughed, walking us into the next aisle.

"I'm not in love, he's just hot."

"You think so?" A male voice asked from behind me. "Hi, I'm Liam."

"Harry," I squeaked, turning around to see the puppy dog guy. He smiled and I almost melted.

"Well, now that I know you think I'm hot. Can I ask for your number?"