Chapter 12: Awakening (Part 3)

Start from the beginning

"Let me out of here you rats!" It was clear she didn't have the key as her fist continued to ram against the wood.

Kyle took Marisha's hand, "Quickly this way. We're not safe yet." He led her into the next room. A large table was placed against the wall and aside from a stack of boxes in the corner the rest was open space. With only one passage leading out it was clear where their goal lied. Kyle could even see the beginning of some stairs that would lead to their freedom but the fact remained there was still at least one person in their way and he'd be coming soon. His mind rushed into gear as he quickly formulated a plan. It was risky but better than anything else he could think of. With little time to spare and Marisha in agreement the pair waited in ambush. Not even half a minute passed before the sound of a trap door opened and closed.

Tibul entered the room clearly annoyed, "Hey stop making so much bloody racket! If I can hear you from up there then that means others can too you idiots." He frowned as he spotted the source of the noise. Thankfully the women's voice was muffled beyond the constant slamming as Tibul simply grunted, "Tch bloody locked themselves in again."

His confident nature dismissed the fact that anything could go wrong. Their underground lair was hidden from sight and magic, while their prisoners were chained with mana sealing cuffs. Then there was Karster who despite his looks was as skilled as he was. The chance that the two somehow managed to overpower him would mean that they'd have to break through the cuffs first and in Tibul's mind that was impossible. He had experience their effect before and knew that the pain only went up the stronger you were. It was for that very reason that he was caught so surprised at the noise behind him. The clatter of a fallen cup and as he turned and witnessed the blanched face of Marisha who had tried to sneak away.

"You! How?" he immediately rushed towards her. He was sure it must have been the girl. Somehow she was more than she pretended to be. The information they had gathered would never suggest Kyle was capable of an escape alone.

As he lunged forward however something snagged on his leg. A rope pulled taught suddenly caused him to trip forwards and onto the stone floor. Just as he tried to stand back up a weight fell upon his back pushing him back down.

"What?" Tibul tried to shake whoever it was off but soon felt their fingers begin to dance around his back. Through his thin shirt the sensation was clear and more concerning was the reaction from within him. Something was happening but he couldn't tell what. Then as he finally managed to right himself the girl came back and with a distressed grunt sent a box colliding against his head. The wooden pieces snapped around his scalp as he grunted more annoyed than pained.

"Get off!" he had enough and threw himself from the floor knocking Kyle who had jumped on top of him away. "Damned rats you are!" Back on his feet he sprang away and drew the dagger from his waist. He looked back on the two wide eyed and more than a little perplexed. "Where's Karster!? How did you get out?"

Kyle grimaced in reply drawing the sword he had stolen, "With a lot of effort."

"Tch," Tibul spat. "You think I can't beat you? I knocked you out once I'll do it again and this time I won't be so nice." A seeping anger lit his chest as Kyle didn't even flinch and instead stepped forward guarding Marisha. "Even if you lose an arm or two I'll still get paid!"

There was no doubt Tibul was confident. The young man before him was a pup. Hero's Guard? He laughed. He had wondered the edge of death dozens of times and made it out. Through the years he had learnt skills that even the Guards of all the states wouldn't teach, ones that would and had made him much stronger.

A grin split Tibul's lips as he pumped the mana through his body ready to crush the two youths in front of him. What came instead was a stabbing pain in his chest that quickly spun out of control burning through to his arms and legs.