Chapter 26: Trenches

Across the Trench, fragments of what was once the Avengers Compound littered the battlefield. If observed long enough, each room could potentially have been deciphered. Fire illuminated the wreckage, sending plumes of smoke into the already darkened sky. Thanos stepped forth. "In all my years of conquest, violence, slaughter. It was never personal. But I'll tell you now; what I'm about to do to your stubborn, annoying little planet; I'm gonna enjoy it. Very, very much."

Ahead, Thanos summoned his army to the ground. The Children of Thanos, Chitauri, Sakaarans, Outriders and Chitauri Gorillas all land upon the churned dirt from their respective aircraft. In the gloom of the battlefield, seeing the army descending on Earth, Steve slowly picks himself up from the dirt. Bruised and battered, he gets to his feet. With fierce determination burning in his blue eyes, he grasps the leather strap of his broken shield, pulling tight on the belt to fasten the material around the open, bleeding gash on his lower arm and stands against Thanos' giant army alone.

"Hey, Cap, you read me?" A voice came through his earpiece, shrouded in static. Confusion took over his expression, his eyes searched the sky for the source of the voice. "Cap, it's Sam. Can you hear me?" All too preoccupied with pinpointing the source of the voice, Steve failed to notice the beginnings of golden fizz appearing in the form of a circle just behind him. "On your left."

Alerted to his left, Steve soon spotted the portal, followed then by the three figures that stepped through; Okoye, Shuri, and T'Challa, fully restored, equipped and ready for the impending battle. Steve, followed by the revived Wakandans shared a look of awe as Sam soared into view from above in his Falcon armour. Wings outstretched and gliding. Drawing Steve's attention to the stretch of golden portals appearing across his side of the trench. Strange would descend in through one of them, joined closely by Drax fuelled with the need for vengeance, Mantis, Star-Lord, and Peter who swings in, to land lightly on the front line, robotic eyes expanding and retracting, checking out the opposition. Steve stands in wonderment as more allies arrive, from all corners of the globe... All corners of the universe. And all accompanied by forces of their own. T'Challa and every member of the Wakandan armies, Valkyrie and the Asgardians mounted on Pegasus, Wong and the Masters of the Mystic Arts and several Ravager ships which lit up the gloomy sky. Amongst the throngs of heroes, Groot, Wanda, the Wasp, Pepper and Bucky, closely followed by Vincent stepped through another portal to join the ranks. Every available force had assembled in solidarity to protect their homes, their lives.

Green eyes gradually took in the sight ahead of him. The wreckage of a place he once knew like the back of his hand. The entirety of Thanos' army dimly lit in the distance on the other side of the trench, reflected in his wide eyes. This was easily the closest he had come to seeing what his mother did for a living. This? This wasn't looking for monsters under the bed or in the closet. This was aliens, beasts of another world hellbent on destroying theirs. "You shouldn't be here," James spoke in a rasp as he locked a clip into his gun, casting a steel blue gaze on his son. War was no place for a child. Hell, Vinny was just a few years younger than himself when he had his first taste of war.

"I can help." Vinny insisted. The look of determination on his face was so like his mother's. He wished he had insisted to help his mom when she had left. Maybe it wouldn't have gotten this bad. But even then.. he was just a boy. Despite the blip, he had grown further beyond his years. He looked to be 15-years-old at the most, now looking more like his father.

Stretching up to the tips of his toes, Vinny's green eyes searched the sea of heads for platinum blonde hair. When she had left, Natasha had explained the gravity of the situation. While juggling being an international fugitive, she was still a mom. Even if they couldn't go on as many trips... or do as many activities, she was still there. Then... she also had the fate of the world on her back when a giant purple alien came knocking. She needed him to understand she may be gone for a while. A year at the very most, she would promise. Entrusting Laura with both of her children and Grace once it came time to leave. What she hadn't expected, was the six piles of ash at the Barton's farm upon her return. Steve had cast his attention to the father and son, grief immediately filling his chest. They didn't know. Of course, they didn't.