Chapter 16: Expect the Unexpected

"And you were at what week when the spontaneous abortions happened?"

"Between 6 and 8 weeks," Natasha spoke, green eyes trained onto the machinery Helen was preparing. "I'm about that far along now." She added, resting her head back against the propped-up bed for her green eyes to rest on the painfully white ceiling above. "I can't say I'm holding out much hope." Bruce had stayed at her side, giving her hand a gentle squeeze from where he was holding it. It pained him to hear her so dejected. This was supposed to be a happy start for them. To finish their family and enjoy their children well into their old age.

"How many-?"

"Three."

Natasha was clear cut and abrupt in her answer, clenching her jaw in slight intervals in an attempt to stave off the bubbling of emotions. It was still rather raw. "Lift your shirt a little," Helen instructed, laying a sheet over the redhead's lap while Nat hiked up her t-shirt to sit just beneath her breasts. Helen adjusted the back of the chair so Nat was laying down a little more before she would apply the gel to the flat of her stomach. "Just a little cold." She warned before the gel would hit her skin.

Once the instrument pressed to her skin, Natasha's eyes found Bruce. She was terrified, but so was he. A moment of complete honesty was shared between them. Helen remained completely focused on the machinery, eyes turned to the screen as she searched. Growing a concentrated expression, Helen tapped away at the screen to adjust certain settings. Their silence was formed of bated breath.

All until the quick 'womp' of a second heartbeat.

Natasha and Bruce both broke their eye contact to look at the screen, the grey and white image depicting a small foetus, moving some with the picture. Natasha's grip tightened on Bruce's hand while her eyes remained fixated on the screen. "We can draw blood and check your hormone levels, but that looks like a perfectly healthy foetus," Helen spoke, tapping away at the screen. "It's meeting the measurements for gestation. I would put you nearer 8 weeks than 6." She added.

"So... I won't lose it?"

"The likelihood is low." Helen nodded. "We don't know what caused the previous.. but from what I can see here, there's nothing to be concerned about." Helen shook her head. "You can see here, the amniotic fluid is plentiful, and if we just move over here.. the lining of the uterus is nice and thick."

"Do you have any advice?" Bruce asked, quite literally on the edge of his seat.

"Well, as far as foetal growth and pregnancy go, I'm by no means an expert. But.. for now, I'll take the blood and I would urge you to schedule local, frequent sonograph to monitor its growth." Helen spoke, removing the instrument and turning off the machine. "Unfortunately, I'm not always going to be able to fly out here." She added.

"We're grateful for the times you've come out to help us." Bruce nodded, giving Natasha's hand another squeeze before he would begin helping her clean the gel off of her stomach. "We'll find a good doctor," Bruce assured Natasha with a gentle smile, helping her sit up after she had pulled down her shirt.

"I don't care how much we have to pay. I just want a chance." Natasha nodded, offering Bruce a soft smile. Helen returned to the pair after a brief moment away, passing them a couple of printed pictures.

"I should have asked if you wanted them... but I took the liberty of printing them anyway," Helen spoke with a soft smile, passing them to Natasha.

"Thank you." Natasha offered with a soft smile, taking the pictures to look at their tiny baby. She turned them for Bruce to see, but he was simply unable to look away from her smile. She looked so genuinely happy. So hopeful.