Chapter 22: Civil War

"That wasn't me," James spoke, steadily releasing Natasha who read up further on the article.

"I know. It couldn't have been." Natasha spoke, making the image on her phone larger. It did seem to be James. But it simply couldn't be. Natasha pressed her lips together, looking back to Steve who was quickly approaching. "We need a plan."

"You should go. Both of you." James spoke up, lowering his gaze briefly to the ground before looking up at Steve and Natasha. "You know this means they'll be coming for me." He spoke, his expression set into a slight frown.

"We can help you."

"You have more important people than me to think about." James nodded toward the RV, his eyes remaining on Natasha. She parted her lips to speak, but the ringing of her phone cut her off. She flashed a minor look of defeat before she would answer the call, stepping away to talk. Steve quickly took over, clapping his old friend on the back.

"We can help," Steve promised him, giving a soft nod with his word. Natasha returned rather quickly, Steve relatively surprised. "That was quick."

"It was a quick conversation. It was Ross. We're needed back at the compound." She spoke, looking to James briefly before looking to Steve. "You have a phone?" Nat asked, looking to James who nodded after a moment. "Good. We're going to need to keep tabs." She mentioned. "It's not safe for you to come with us, but we need to know where to find you if things go south."

"I'll stay." Steve nodded.

"If you're the only one that doesn't show up, it raises suspicion," Natasha told him. "We need to go back and try to salvage what we can. I told Ross that we took a vacation with the kids, there's enough time for us to get back." She added.

The trio set their ideas of a plan in motion. James would remain in contact as long as it was safe to do so, with Steve and Nat updating him from the inside. Ross had mentioned already he was after Barnes, so it was no surprise. Steve and James shared a small goodbye, though the former was determined for it to not be their last. "Can you go start the van? I'll be in in a sec." Natasha looked to Steve in a clear gesture for him to give the pair a moment. The man gave a slight nod, then one of acknowledgement to James before he would head into the vehicle. The redhead waited until he was gone before she looked up to James. "Don't go silent on us," Natasha spoke, drawing her brows together.

"It's safer for everyone if I do." James frowned.

"Vinny deserves to have you in his life. You deserve to have him." Natasha told him. "I want you to be able to know the amazing little boy I have the pleasure to care for."

"You mentioned someone else?" The slight probing was obvious to the spy, who managed a minor smile.

"His papa, Bruce." Natasha nodded. "He's helped me raise him." The redhead spoke, her eyes holding a certain pain that James couldn't help but notice. "We have a daughter, Nessy." She added briefly. It pained her deeply to know Nessy would miss out on the close family upbringing Vinny had experienced. But what Bruce had done... it couldn't be forgiven so easily.

"I'm glad," James began, Natasha's eyes finding his from their briefly overcast appearance. "I always knew you'd make an amazing mother." He nodded, tone quiet and sincere. The redhead's posture deflated some before she enveloped him in a hug. Perhaps overstepping the mark for the fragile soldier. James moved his flesh hand to her back, holding her for as long as she needed. It was enough to bring to light the darkest portions of his memory. Her warmth, her scent... all the same as they had been. 

The pair parted with unspoken promises and shared one last glance before Natasha entered the RV. The journey home was tiresome. Tedious. Steve worried greatly for his friend, and rightfully so. It was certainly a trying time for all of them. Another phone call was received from Tony, who notified them of a mission gone awry. Still, in the training of her powers, Wanda had been unfortunate enough to be involved in an explosion that near levelled a 10 story building with civilian lives lost. Needless to say, Ross was doubly serious about his order for them to return sooner rather than later.