Chapter 15: First Christmas

"Where did all the frosting go? I made more than enough." Natasha furrowed her brows in an expression of minor confusion. "Oh." She arched a brow in realisation. Bruce and Vinny caught red - or rather 'frosted' - handed, each with a finger dipped in the plain white frosting that stood in for snow. "Have you been eating it this whole time?"

"Well, you were so focused on your gingerbread house that we got a little peckish.." Bruce spoke, an easy smile lighting his features. Vinny hadn't been as sneaky as his father. The evidence of frosting around his mouth.

"Well, you're not gonna have enough to stick your house together." Natasha pursed her lips with her point, tilting her head some with a cocked brow.

"Ah." Bruce looked at the slightly decorated pieces of gingerbread on his plate.

"Come on, you. You can help me decorate my house." Natasha gestured for Vinny to approach, scooping him up to sit on her lap as she acquired the small icing pipes of various colours.

The ground floor of the house was incredibly lit, festive decorations leaving no inch uncovered. Their tree took up near an entire corner, white lights illuminating whatever of the room the trimmings couldn't reach. Christmas wasn't practised to great length in the previous years. They would gift each other something every year, but Natasha had gone all out this year. Having a little one around made the season all that more important. More magical.

On the morning of Christmas eve, she had even insisted on baking cookies for Santa himself. Ensuring Vinny had a heavy part in the preparation. These would be his formative memories and she wanted him to remember as much of a good childhood as he could. She would ensure he had everything she didn't.

"I would say.. that's a pretty good-looking house. Think we could live in there?" Natasha praised him, settling her chin on his little shoulder as he sprinkled edible glitter over the frosted roof. In front of them, Bruce was struggling with his gingerbread house. The fine application of frosting stood no change in holding the pieces together, falling in a heap in the centre of his plate. "Not enough icing?" The redhead pouted to Bruce, easing the blow with a smile.

"Maybe if we were really, really small!" Vinny nodded affirmatively.

"Oh, you'd be able to live in there easy peasy, then." Natasha smiled, tickling his sides enough to cause the boy to giggle feverishly. "Well.. it's almost 8 pm.. you know what that means.."

"Movie time!"

"That's right." Natasha smiled, lifting him off of her lap. "But first, we need pyjamas." She hummed in thought. "Coming to think of it... I think I can get into my pyjamas faster than you can." She voiced her bet, tilting her head some as she regarded her son.

"Nuh-huh. I'm the fastest ever!"

"Prove it. 3..2..1-"

"Go!" Vinny raced off for the stairs, quickly out of sight. Natasha stood in disbelief for a few moments.

"Little cheater," Natasha mentioned with a light chuckle.

"I think it's called: strategy." Bruce voiced from his chair, adding to her laughter. He picked himself up from his chair for Natasha to catch hold of his hand.

"So... I got pyjamas for you, too." Natasha spoke, her excitement easily shining through her smile. "Come with me." She beckoned him, keeping a hold of his hand to lead him to their bedroom.

Stepping out of the master bedroom, both adults were clad in their red, green and white striped elf pyjamas. Paired with pointed red slippers, they certainly looked the part. "Momma!" Vinny sprung out of his room in his tinier matching elf onesie.