Ch 16 {Smithereens}

"What are saying? A-Are you saying Ojiro's dead?" Hagakure could barely utter a word.

Bakugo passed a blank stare.

He wondered if he made the right call to tell them about the others and didn't know what to say. This forced Midoriya to engage.

"Ojiro is M.I.A. Everyone else didn't make it..." He lowered his gaze to avoid eye contact.

Hearing this was a relief for her. If the news came from him then there was no need to question it. However, the same was true for the latter.

Some of them didn't know how to handle the news. Ashido collapsed to her knees in utter despair whereas Shoji was silent for three seconds before kicking a chair.

Ashido couldn't keep herself together which was frustrating. The last thing she wanted to do was cry in front of other people, especially her friends. She just wanted to crawl under a rock and die. The others couldn't bear to watch, so Yaoyorozu embraced her on the ground while Kirishima caressed her shoulder to show his sympathy.

"What now?" He wiped away a tear.

"Now we leave!" Todoroki interrupted, burning incoming zombies.

It seemed the dozens of zombies from the food court were heading their way. They would have to grieve later because if they didn't move then their mission would've been for nothing.

"Whoa! That's a lot!" Sato said still on Shoji's back.

"Let's move!" Snipe urged, signaling them to go.

Iida and Yaoyorozu gathered the kids while Todoroki covered them. However, Hagakure couldn't leave without a certain someone.

"What about Ojiro?!"

"I'm sorry, kid. But if your friend is alive, he'll have to meet up with us. The kids are our mission and we simply don't have the time," Snipe told the cold truth.

"But heroes don't leave comrades behind!" She argued.

"Listen... Even if he did survive the Nomu encounter I doubt he could survive a herd."

"Sir. Please!" Hagakure tried to reason.

"I'm sorry, but we've ALL lost comrades today. Our priority now is completing the mission."

"Screw the mission...! I'm going back for Ojiro!" She picked up her bat.

Before she could run off, Snipe lifted his gun and knocked her out. The sheer force of the swing drew blood that was seen on her invisible face.

Everyone gasped at Snipe. Never could they imagine him doing such a thing. Of course, he received many insults and questions regarding his actions. Nevertheless, he ignored them, picked up Hagakure, and handed her to Bakugo who didn't complain about the responsibility given to him.

"I'm sorry. I'm not losing anyone else today."

Acting as if nothing happened, Snipe continued to move. Mineta and Aoyama would watch the rear while he watched the front. It was the perfect set up and any zombie that lunged from the dark would get a bullet to the head. And with Yaoyorozu at his side, he could reload on ammo any time.

"C'mon, kiddos. Don't stop!" Iida told the kids.

"But, Mr. Iida, my legs hurt!" Hai complained.

"So? I'm sure all of our legs are hurting but you don't see us complaining do you?" Tamashiro interjected beside Yumi.

Noticing how tired she looked, Iida slowed his pace, gently picked her up, and sat her around his head. "Is that better?" He asked, looking up at her.

"Mhm," she nodded.