Ch 44 {Sanctuary}

Songs

\\ Simon Says ○ The Lost Soul Down X Lost Soul //

\\ Pharoahe Monch ○ NBSPLV //

~•~•~•~•~•~•~

It was roughly 2 am and Stain's shift had ended.

Since Twice was more than capable of watching the house with his duplicates, he quietly tip-toed into the house and found a chair in the corner to sleep on. At least that's what he intended until he noticed something move from the corner of his eye.

From a certain angle, he thought it was the moonlight casting a shadow on a branch outside. However, considering shadows didn't walk on two legs, he knew better than to think that. The last thing he wanted was to be snooping around in the middle of the night. If he bumped into one of the children, worse a girl, it wouldn't look good on his part.

That being said, he left his sword and shoes by the chair to investigate.

He moved along the walls of the darkened halls and stopped when he heard whispering in one of the rooms. He peaked around the corner and gasped in silence at the sight of Dabi.

"Are you sure you weren't made?" Stain heard Dabi whisper to someone he couldn't see from where he stood.

"No..." He heard the person reply but couldn't make out a voice.

"Well... You better be right... This is happening whether you like it or not..." Dabi whispered until the floorboard creaked beneath Stain and drew his attention.

'Shit!' Stain quickly hid in another room.

Dabi wasn't an amateur. Surely, he could tell when someone was spying on him. So, when Dabi walked by without so much as checking the rooms, this caught him off guard. But not as much as when he spotted the person he was talking to. And although it was pitch black, he saw enough of the person's figure to realize it was one of Todoroki's friends.

But why would they be together?

Once they were gone, Stain left the room and thought he was in the clear. Sadly, he thought wrong because Dabi was waiting for him at the end of the hall.

"Hero killer..." Dabi addressed him.

"Dabi..." He uttered sternly, letting him know he was not afraid of him in the slightest.

"I'm not going to act like you didn't hear any of that. But... If it weren't for you, I wouldn't be where I am today, so I am going to pretend you didn't..." Dabi emphasized.

"What are you doing with the child, Dabi?" Stain blurted out to his annoyance.

"That's none of your concern. Now... Have a good night..." He tiredly sighed, turning his back.

"I'll tell them what I saw!" Stain stopped him in his tracks.

Stain waited and watched as Dabi stood with his back turned. Based on his posture, he was tired and just wanted to sleep. Even so, he doubted he was one to not address his idol.

"You know... You inspired me to tear down the status quo... Yet... I can't help but wonder why you rejected me as your disciple?" Dabi asked with a darkness clouding his eyes.

"Because you twisted my ideals and used them as an excuse to tear down heroes as a whole! I wanted them to be better. Not extinct!" Stain softly spat out with a light over his head.