Ch 38 {Ratatouille Stew}

Splash!

Dropping into sewer water, Kirishima had just closed the manhole, plunging the underground sewer into darkness. He grabbed a flashlight from his belt and shined a light down the tunnel while Mineta hung the gun over his shoulder and Hagakure bandaged her leg.

"Looks like the coast is clear..." Shindo commented as water dripped from the ceiling.

"Yeah... I dropped my earpiece back there, so we're on our own until we reach the rendezvous point," Kirishima regretfully informed.

Suddenly, Todoroki groaned upon feeling a sharp pain in his ribs.

"Hey, you alright, man?" Tetsutetsu noticed his discomfort.

"I'm fine! I just need a minute..." He calmly breathed. That's when the others smelt a foul smell.

"This place smells like shit," Bakugo blurted out.

"No shit, genius. It's a sewer," Shindo mocked.

"Argh!"

"Calm down, Bakugo! Not even a day after being reunited, and you're already picking fights..." Ashido grinned while Yaoyorozu hugged Jiro behind her.

"I'm so happy you're back..." Yaoyorozu whispered.

"Likewise, sister," Jiro giggled.

"Believe it or not, but this is him being calm," Hagakure confessed.

"Oh my gosh, Toru! I almost forgot about you! You look amazing!" Ashido embraced her.

"Ugh! Nice to see you too, Mina...!" She struggled to breathe momentarily. In the background, Jiro could be seen putting an earbud in her ear to play music.

"Come on, guys! Enough chit-chat! Hiryu is injured, and we need to get back to hideout before it's too late..." Monoma stressed while Pony wrapped gauze around his injuries.

"Injured? Pfft! Not even close!" Rin winced consequently.

"Right..." Pony doubted that much.

"No, Monoma is right. Let's move." Pulling out the sewer schematics, Kirishima led the way.

"I'll lead the rear," Todoroki made a flame.

Moving in a single file, everyone walked with their heads low as zombie groans could be heard from a distance above the ground. It kept them on their toes, expecting Deku to pounce from one of the many dark corners. But nothing happened to their relief.

"I still can't believe you guys are alive... I mean... How did you survive, Jaku?"

"Well... It wasn't from sheer luck. That's for sure..." Kirishima explained.

"And Sato? Is he still here?"

Ashido looked at Kirishima pitifully as he swallowed his sadness.

He shook his head regretfully.

"I see..." That much information was enough for Bakugo to drop the topic.

"So, you've been stuck here for a year... That must've been one hell of a year. Hunting for supplies, staying alive... Avoiding Midoriya..." Todoroki said.

"You have no idea..." Ashido remembered all too well.

"If you saw the things we did, you would've never come back... Although I reckon the decision didn't sit well with Mr. Aizawa, huh?" Mineta chuckled at the thought.

"It wasn't easy..." Yaoyorozu whispered.

"Besides, we wanted to. For Eri's sake..." Hagakure confessed.