TWO

CHAPTER TWO
' IT REALLY GETS UNDER YOUR NAILS. '

The group disembarked from the ship, the sunlight smacking into them from the contrast of the ship's interior. Oswin's face pulled into a grimace as she squinted at the sky, her lips forming a line. Xander walked beside her, a few inches taller and pulled an identical expression. They stopped and looked up at the Avengers' building. A small sigh escaped Oswin, her features unreadable as she regarded it. Her brother glanced at her, then at the others as they crossed the grass.

"You alright?" he asked quietly, gently touching her elbow.

She looked up at him, seeming to brake from a daze. "Oh, yeah, I'm good." He didn't miss her thick swallow before following her after the group. They entered the building, Xander taking in the grand structure with widened eyes.

"It's gotten so cold," Oswin spoke quietly, her sight following Xander's.

Natasha hummed in agreement. "I guess it hasn't been lived in since the Accords."

"I never really liked it anyway." The pink-haired woman turned to Xander, nodding her head towards the stairs. Vision took the flight carefully, and halfway up, his foot slipped. Oswin grabbed his arm, steadying him before shifting it over her shoulder and assisting Sam with helping him up the steps. The synthazoid's steps became stumbles by the top, and he leaned heavily on the two on either side of him. Sam and Oswin shared a glance before continuing behind Steve and Natasha as they entered one of the board rooms.

"My God, Rhodes." Oswin bristled at the sound of his voice, her jaw clenching and a piece of her chest constricting. Xander had the same reaction behind the group as he walked beside Wanda, a sharp look forming on his face. "Your talent for horseshit rivals my own."

"If it weren't for those Accords, Vision would've been right here," Rhodey shot back.

"I remember your signature on those papers, Colonel."

"That's right. And I'm pretty sure I've paid for that."

"You have second thoughts?"

A smile formed on the colonel's face. "Not anymore." At that point, the group made themselves known to the hologram of another board room. Ross turned to face them, a sneer forming on his face.

"Mr Secretary," Steve greeted, and Oswin could detect the parts of his tone which weren't pleasantries.

Ross looked past him, eyes flickering between Natasha and then focusing on Oswin. "You got some nerve. I'll give you that."

Natasha's lips quirked, a sharp glare forming on her features. "You could use some of that right now."

"The world's on fire. And you think all is forgiven?" he shot back.

"I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking for permission," Steve's voice was sharp, taking the attention off of the females. His stance was overbearing, defensiveness shifting under his tone and relieving Oswin of Ross' gaze. It wasn't a secret that her experience in the Raft had plagued her with nightmares. Every mental repercussion of her past actions had crashed down on her like a tidal wave after they executed her for them. There seemed to be a trade-off in her mind, the voices loosening their grip but the short temper and skittishness filling their gap. "Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight. And if you wanna stand in our way... We'll fight you, too."

"It's like I said, Mr Secetrary." Oswin remained where she was, but his gaze found her easily. "Blood is terribly difficult to wash off. It really gets under your nails."

A look of distaste formed on Ross' face, and he turned to Rhodey. "Arrest them."

Rhodey's dry tone replied, "All over it." He swiped his hand to the side, and the hologram of Ross faded. A sharp ding sounded, and a notification formed where Ross had been. "That's a court-martial." He turned away and looked at the others. "It's great to see you, Cap."