SIX

CHAPTER SIX
' NO SUCH THING
AS NICE. '

The Blade sprinted through the airport runway, Rogers keeping pace tightly at her side. Her sword was strapped to her back, her - what Natasha called - signature 'my chemical romance' jacket tight around her top.

Quick, Blade, above!

She ducked on instinct, herself and the voices falling into sync like old times as quickly as anything. Something flew over her head and latched onto the helicopter they were to board. Herself and Rogers skidded to a stop before it as electricity exploded around it. The Blade placed a hand on Rogers' arm, pulling him back with her.

Stark in his ironman suit and Rhodey in his War machine one lowered to the ground before them. The Blade clenched her fist, tilting her head and adjusting her stance, so she was ready to pounce.

'Wow, it's so weird how you run into people at the airport,' Stark began, his voice slightly more violent than his usual sarcastic tone, and it caused the Blade to bristle. 'Don't you think that's weird?

'Definitely weird,' Rhodey agreed.

Rogers glanced at the Blade, but the helmet shielded any emotion he could gauge. 'Hear me out, Tony. That doctor, the psychiatrist; he's behind all of this.

The assassin looked to the side, her hand flexing as T'challa pounced over a truck. 'Captain.'

She couldn't even find it in herself to let a snarky remark slip past her lips at their deliberate ignorance of her. Something really was wrong with her.

Don't start with that Blade. We need you alert and active.

'Anyway,' Stark continued. 'Ross gave me thirty-six hours to bring you in. That was twenty-four hours ago. Can you help a brother out?'

Rogers shook his head. 'You're after the wrong guy.'

'Your judgment is askew. Your old war buddy killed innocent people yesterday.'

'It wasn't him,' the Blade straightened, and her drawl slipped out as if nothing was wrong. 'Soldat isn't our biggest problem right now. There are more super soldiers just like him, and the doctor is very close to getting what he wants. If he gets them-' She shook her head '-None of you will last a minute.'

Natasha appeared to the side of the slowly growing group, and the Blade's shoulders dropped at the sight of her obstructing her way. 'Oswin,' she began quietly. 'You know what's about to happen. Do you really wanna punch your way out of this one?'

Stark let out a sigh. 'All right, I've run out of patience. Underoos!'

Something pulled Roger's shield from his grip and coiled his hands together quicker than either of them could react. The Blade managed to dodge something that headed her way. She furrowed her eyebrows at the white substance on the ground.

'Nice job, kid,' Stark praised.

Someone in a red suit landed on a detachable tunnel, massive, white eyes adjusting. 'Thanks. Well, I could've stuck the landing a little better. It's just the new suit... Well, it's nothing, Mr Stark. It's-it's perfect. Thank you.'

Is that a kid?

That's a new low, even for Stark.

'Yeah, we don't really need to start a conversation,' Stark replied.

'Okay,' the kid agreed but continued anyway. 'Cap-Captain. Big fan, I'm Spider-Man.'

'Yeah, we'll talk about it later. Just-'

'Hey, everyone,' Spider-Man continued.

The Blade waved in reply, and the kid awkwardly waved back.

Stark sighed. 'Good job.'

'You've been busy,' Rogers replied.

'And you've been a complete idiot. Dragging in Clint. 'Rescuing' Wanda from a place she doesn't even want to leave, a safe place. I'm trying to keep-' Stark realised he was beginning to shout '-I'm trying to keep you from tearing the Avengers apart.'

The Blade scoffed quietly. 'You are dangerously ignorant sometimes, Stark.'

That seemed to cut any composure Stark had. 'Alright, We're done. You're gonna turn Barnes over. You're gonna come with us. Now! Because it's us! Or a squad of J-SOC guys with no compunction about being impolite. If they catch you, Blade, they're not going to be nice.' 

'We found it. Their Quinjet's in hangar five, north runway.'

'In this world, there is no such thing as nice.' A slight accent slipped out with her words.

Rogers lifted his bound hands, and an arrow pierced through the webbing. 'Alright, Lang.'

Lang, in his Antman suit, returned to his normal size. He back-flipped and kicked Spider-Man in the face while taking the shield. He landed between the Blade and Rogers, giving the shield to its owner. 'I believe this is yours, Captain America.'

Stark began relaying instructions, and a smirk formed on the Blade's face as she pulled her sword from her sheath. She rolled her neck as she twirled it in her grip before lowering into a fighting position.

'Barnes is mine!'

Her smile grew at T'challa's words, and she sprinted towards him and kicked him from his original pursuit. She rolled out of her dive as the Black Panther stabilised himself. She got to her feet and twirled her sword once more.

'I heard that the Black Panther was one of the most formidable fighters.' She tilted her head. 'But I'll be the judge of that.'