TWO

CHAPTER TWO
' THAT'S NOT ME,
PRINCESS. '

The Blade sat on the bonnet of a dark car, her helmet sitting comfortably over her face and revealing a smirk caught on her features. A knife was clutched in her fingers, absentmindedly passing it between them. She sat in an opening, trees surrounding the short grass with an abandoned building sitting to the corner. Her eyes wandered over the area, a gentle breeze wafting through the leaves and caressing her hair.

Another mangled body laid by her feet. A pool of crimson sat around their oddly angled body, their nearly toothless mouth pulled into a silent scream. The voices mingled quietly in her head, savouring the satisfaction of the Blade's prior actions and resulting in murmurs and hardly decipherable words. Her eyes flickered down to the phone by her side as voices pushed through the speakers.

'Was that your first kiss since nineteen-forty-five?'

She let out a sigh, reclining against the windscreen of the car and folding her hands over her stomach.

'That bad, huh?'

'I didn't say that.'

'Well, it kind of sounds like that's what you're saying.'

'No, I didn't. I just wondered how much practice you've had.'

'You don't need practice.'

'Everybody needs practice,' the Blade drawled out, her voice layered with the fuzzy one of Romanoff. The Blade zoned out the automated voices, letting out another heavy exhale as she continued to play with the knife.

The Blade stood before a weapons room, her posture slouched and a look of utter distaste etched on her face. Myriads of weapons littered the walls, trying to conceal the violent artificial light which beamed around the room. It contrasted heavily to the young woman in the centre, her hair and clothing a palette of dark shades. To her feet sat a helmet, a deep bronze with tusks curving around sides. It was sinister, the eye sockets seemingly to be blackholes, consuming the light around them.

The door behind her pushed open, a tall figure, dressed similarly to the Blade, stepping in. His hair was dark and cropped at the shoulders, a mask and goggles clutched in his grip as he stopped by her side. One of his arms was a silver colour, reflecting the artificial light harshly.

'The mission seems simple enough,' he began, his voice blank of emotion.

The Blade glanced at him, raising an eyebrow. 'In, out, blow it to hell?' she finished, her voice monotone but dripping with arrogance.

'Like usual,' he answered.

The corners of her lips twitched, pulling into a lopsided smirk as excitement formed in her eyes. 'The voices will enjoy this.'

The man let out a hum in reply, pulling his mask and goggles onto his face before stepping forwards. The walls shifted before them, separating in the middle and sweeping back, revealing a garage. He filtered out, not giving a glance to the woman before pulling himself into the driver's side of a truck.

The Blade sighed, grasping her helmet and pulling it into her face. 'Hail Hydra,' she whispered monotonously, her lips flattening into a thin line before following the man out.

The Blade blinked to herself, the haze clearing from her eyes as she shifted to sit up. Letting out a sigh, she looked over her shoulder as she swung her legs over the side of the bonnet. The sound of an engine revving caught her attention, and her eyes flickered back to the phone-like device to her side, blinking at the time. She pushed herself off, her feet creating a crunch as they met the few pieces of gravel that escaped the road beneath her.