NINE

CHAPTER NINE
' WHO'S IN CONTROL
NOW? '

Dark armour covered the Blade's body, a gun in her grip and a helmet sitting on her head - a S.H.I.E.L.D guard agent's uniform. She followed Pierce and the World's Security Council, with both Natasha and herself in disguise with Natasha conversing with Pierce, the man entirely oblivious to the infiltrators.

Sneaky.

I can't remember the last time we were undercover.

It's exciting, isn't it?

Blood?

'And how was your flight?' he asked.

'Lovely,' Natasha replied. 'The ride from the airport, less so.'

Danger?

Everything's under control.

Blood?

Control.

'Sadly, S.H.I.E.L.D can't control everything.'

'Including Captain America,' another council member added.

They stopped in front of another guard, Pierce's jaw clenched. He retrieved four pins and turned to the Council. 'This facility is biometrically controlled, and these will give you unrestricted access.'

The Council pinned the badges onto their clothes and followed Pierce to his office. The Blade followed closely behind, her face remaining impartial like usual. They entered the spacious room, a lady handing the Councilmembers glasses of champagne as Pierce readied himself in front of a projector. The Blade stood with another guard by each door and clutched her gun tighter.

'I know the road hasn't exactly been smooth, and some of you would have gladly kicked me out of the car along the way. Finally, we're here, and the world should be grateful.' They shared a light laugh and took sips of their champagne to honour Pierce's words. 

But before Pierce could continue, a short buzzing took over before Rogers' voice carried over the speakers, 'Attention, all S.H.I.E.L.D agents. This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days. Some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. S.H.I.E.L.D is not what we thought it was. It's been taken over by Hydra; Alexander Pierce is their leader. The Strike and Insight crew are Hydra as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury, and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, Hydra will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way; unless we stop them.

'I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high. It always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not.'

This man is good at speaking.

Blood.

Right?

Blood?

Maybe he's not dumb after all.

Rockwell turned to Pierce, a furrow on his brow. 'You smug son-of-a-bitch.' The Blade moved forward with the other Hydra guard, standing either side of Pierce.

Singh looked between the guards before nodding his head at Pierce. 'Arrest him.' The corners of the Blade's mouth twitched into a smirk before she aimed her gun at him.

Blood?

Blood!

Pierce shrugged. 'I guess I've got the floor.' He began to pace, stopping by the window to watch the explosions targeting Sam and Rogers. He glanced behind him before facing Singh. 'Let me ask you a question,' he began. 'What if Pakistan marched into Mumbai tomorrow, and you knew that they were gonna drag your daughters into a soccer stadium for execution?' He raised an eyebrow. 'And you could just stop it with a flick of the switch. Wouldn't you? Wouldn't you all?'