ONE

CHAPTER ONE
' YOU'VE HAD YOUR
BLOOD FOR THE
DAY. '

The sound of the Blade's footsteps ricocheted off of the walls surrounding her as a trail of ash billowed in her wake. A dark coat, which reached her mid-thigh, swayed with the movement of her hips. Her lilac coloured hair bounced in unison with her steps. She brought a ring-cluttered, leather-gloved hand to her mouth, plucking a cigarette from between her teeth as she blew out a wispy trail of smoke.

Her dark eyes flickered over the grey surroundings with a tilted head. She hooked her lips around the rolled paper and inhaled deeply, humming as she exhaled through her nose. White fabric weaved around the buttons of her jacket and it fell into a tailored tailcoat at the bottom. The coat sat over the skin-tight catsuit she wore underneath, which crept up and encircled her neck with a tight seal.

A dark bronze helmet covered the top half of her face, ending just under her nose and revealing the careless smirk etched onto her lips. It resembled the skull of a wild boar with tusks curling from either side and framing her sharp jawline. The open back let the gentle breeze ruffle against her confined lilac hair as the mask sat high on her forehead.

God, this place is dull. Thank fuck we're bombing it.

I know right? Their colour scheme is just... there's no oomph to it, you know?

My point exactly. They need a feature wall.

Yes! That would just bring-

"-Do you mind?" she grumbled under her breath.

See, the dullness is getting to her too.

The Blade clenched her jaw, reaching the end of the corridor and stopping as her hand traced over the iron walls. It hovered for a moment before a smirk slithered onto her chiselled face, eyes flashing with a dark triumph. She took a last inhale of her smoke, the paper shrivelling up as the red embers manifested and let it fall to the ground. A puff of smoke erupted from it, and she lifted her foot, her toes grinding it to the ground and leaving a pathetic mass of ash behind.

She dug into her pocket, swivelling on her heels and moving to an embedded box which flickered with small, red lights. She retrieved a disk, placing it between her teeth as she pulled back her elbow and smashed it against the box. A litter of delicate, diaphanous sparks flared from the crumbled device and she brushed off her elbow and plucked the disk from her teeth. She pulled off the smashed cover and placed the disk inside the crushed box. She adjusted her helmet as she turned, the corner of her mouth pulling into a grin.

Someone's coming.

The violent sound of heavy footsteps crept into her ears, and she rolled her eyes. She reached back, pulling a thick sword from a sheath strapped to her back. It was wide, the handle carved with intricate vines, which swirled around a snarling bore along with a similarly designed handguard protruding from each side. The actual blade was long, the mirror-like metal reflecting the harsh light furiously. She twirled it within her hands before stopping and turning to side-face the direction she had previously ventured. She tilted her head before moving back and pressing herself against the wall.

Blood!

Cut his head off!

Blood! Blood! Blood!

As if on cue, a soldier clad in armour and a long machine gun rounded the corner. Without giving them a chance to react, she pounced forward and gave a rapid swipe of her blade. No sound emitted from the action as the soldier's head fell from their body and dropped onto the floor with a dull thud.