V

Chapter V

And a long day it was. After countless hours of planning and rehearsing, we called in a few extra sets of hands to add to my vision. Then, to add to my exhaustion, I had to be fitted for the gown I picked as well.

Now, I stood in front of a mirror, dressed in a long black dress that had a sweetheart neckline. At the waist, fabric poured out into a Cinderella ball gown. My hair was curled in beautiful waves with one side pinned back, making it all fall on the other shoulder. I refused to wear any accessories besides earrings and gloves that rose to my biceps.

I felt like a princess. I looked like a princess. My father would have a cow, a horse, and a sheep if he could see me like this.

The ball was already taking place. The problem was that if I arrived in the ballroom and found my mate before the performance, I would disappoint everyone. I know myself; I know I would not give it my best shot because it would add even more nerves onto my plate. I would know he was watching me. If I just waited until after I sang, I could just focus on that and what this will do for my career.

"Nervous?" Lux appeared from beside me in the mirror.

I exhaled loudly as I turned to face him. We were in a small room that held instruments, conveniently placed a door away from the ballroom. "A little. Why are you here? You should be out there mingling."

He gave a shrug and looked at his watch. "I wanted to check on you. You should be out mingling. I have a mate. You do not."

He has a mate? How did I not smell he was mated?

I eyed him suspiciously and responded. "If I find him, I cannot focus. I refuse to be any less than one hundred percent out there."

"Ah," he said, as if he understood. "Well, it is a good thing you go on now, isn't it?"

"I go on now?!" I almost lose my footing with these heels on but regain myself as he opens the door. The lights were dimmed so low I could barely see anyone in the ballroom.

"Off you go, Miss Everly. You will do amazing." He said and shoves me out the door that was about ten feet from the stage. The orchestra we added played a relaxing tune while all lights on the stage were off. I knew this was my que.

"You got this, Everly." Celeste reminded me. She seemed a bit off, but I could not take that on right now.

I took deep breaths, walking up the steps of the stage. I continued this until I was standing up front and center with the microphone stand. The lights were still not on, but by the way the floor quickly filled with mated pairs; it was apparent they got the memo the last dance was about to take place.

The soft keys played by the pianist brought a comfort around me. I let it drown me. The lights slowly lightened up as I started singing the first lines of the song. It did not last long, because as soon as the chorus hit, lights flooded the stage, unveiling me and the orchestra playing beautifully behind me.

As I sang my heart and soul out into this song, I felt myself slip into the music even deeper. The vibe surrounding me demanded that I did so. Wolves were dancing with their mates, smiling, laughing, and completely in bliss. This drove me further to make sure they remember this song and this moment for the rest of their lives.

At the end of the song, I held the note until I allowed it to fade. People all over the room began cheering and clapping in my direction. It brought me to tears, making me smile widely as I bowed before them. This was the best moment of my life until Celeste whimpered in my head. I tried my best not to let my smile drop as I walked offstage. When I was out of sight of everyone, I became concerned about Cel.

"Celeste, what's wrong?" I asked her.

She nearly jumped in control as she became a rabid dog in my mind. "Mate! Go get him!"

"He is here? Where is he?" Our wolves are the first ones to know when we have crossed paths with our mates. They can almost pinpoint them like a GPS. We do not figure it out ourselves until we touch or make eye contact.

"Yes! Go now!" She yelled at me.

There were at least 150 people in this room. How was I supposed to just magically find him without her help? "Where, Celeste? Where do I go?-"

Someone literally knocked out my thoughts as a massive body collided with mine. I squealed in surprise when I hit the ground on my ass. That was going to leave a bruise.

"I am so sorry," the mystery male apologized, but before I could reply, he rambled with his hands in his hair like a stressed mother. "My Alpha is going nuts and told me to go find this girl. He said if I did not, then I would get punched in the face. He has gorilla hands. I really do not want to be punched in the face right after finding my mate-" he cut himself off when he looked at me "Hey, aren't you the girl that just sang?"

Still sitting on the floor, because in this dress there was no way for me to get up myself. I stared at him with bewildered eyes. "I am."

He nodded, still leaving me sitting. "One moment." He said, like he just placed me on hold. His eyes then glazed over, telling me he was mind linking someone.

"You're awfully quiet now." I picked at Celeste, who just kept pacing back and forth.

She scoffed, "He smells like Mate, but he already has one."

"For the love of the Moon Goddess, Declan." A powerful voice approached us, as did a large silhouette of a man. "Are you just going to leave her on the fucking ground?" As he came into view, I lost my breath. Lux had nothing on this wolf. He had dark brown hair that was short on the sides but held beautiful curls on the top. His arms, though covered in a black on black tux, were huge.

I got a magnificent view of his right hand as he offered it to me. His ring finger held a chunky gold ring. The ring was decorated in a giant red jewel with a gold phoenix in the center. My gloved hand fit into his perfectly. When he pulled me up he turned his attention from the man named Declan to me.

His honey-colored eyes made my world stop. I gasped at the weight of the world coming off my shoulders and how his presence consumed me. "Mate." Celeste said out loud, using my lips. I pushed her down so she could not take over this moment.

"Mate!" The man's voice was rougher and his eyes were darker, showing that his wolf had also jumped out, but unlike mine, his stayed.

"Snaggletooth?" Celeste smirked.

"Definitely not." I responded.

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾Please Vote and Comment☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙