IV

Chapter IV

"Everly!" Queen Fallon greeted me after Lux escorted us to the throne room. It was a giant white room that just held two thrones. They were made from solid gold besides the navy blue cushions for their backs and bottoms. The Queen and King both sat in them accordingly.

I dipped down in a curtsy before taking in anything else. When given permission to stand, my eyes wandered to the two wolves, who held more power than I could imagine. They looked younger than I thought. Both had to be around their early thirties. "My King and Queen." I greeted them both.

"You do not know how excited we are to have you sing at this year's Gala, Everly." The Queen smiled and then looked to her mate to speak.

He grinned at her, then turned his brown eyes to me. "Yes, we are both very honored to have a voice like yours performing."

I knew I could sing, but their reactions and eagerness were certainly surprising. "Thank you for having me. Your palace is absolutely breathtaking."

The king smiled wider at my comment, grabbing his mate's hand as he spoke. "I am glad you enjoy it, it took years to redecorate when I took the throne." He then laughed a little, as if he realized we were getting off track. "Now, we love your vocals. We want you to sing something that showcases them. But we want a song that also showcases the journey to your mate."

The Queen quickly picked up where he left off. "Indeed," she agreed. "This will be the only lyrical song of the evening and will be the song all the new found mates will dance to. I was hoping you would have something written in the realm of our expectations."

There it was, the thing I was dreading. I had never written a song in my life. I always wanted to try, but never had the inspiration or tools to do it. I must have physically winced at her words, because her face turned to a deep frown.

"I am very sorry to disappoint," I said nervously. "I have never written a song before, but I have one in mind by a human artist. It fits exactly what you want, I believe."

Would they throw me out after my suggestion and just have him play it?

"I would." Celeste piped up from my thoughts.

I almost released a growl from my throat, but controlled it. "Shut up, go back to obsessing over our snaggletooth mate."

"Aye aye, captain!" she responded.

I swear, if I could strangle her without doing it to myself, I would.

"Why don't you play it for us?" The King spoke up.

My eyes blinked in confusion before they caught the piano in the room's corner. I must have missed it because it practically blended into the walls. "Of course." I bowed before them just as a safety measure, then walked to the piano.

It was unlike any I had seen before, solid white. I could smell how much this thing cost. After clearing my throat, I sat down. I let my finger linger on the keys like feathers until I was ready to submerge myself in this beautiful song. With a shaky exhale, I played the starting keys of "Make It To Me" by Sam Smith.

I closed my eyes as I always did while singing. My voice bounced off of the plain walls and marble floors as I began the chorus. It sounded so bare coming just from the piano. The song deserved the full instrumental. The piano alone did not give it justice. I did not get the same feelings I did while listening to it while I performed. I tried my best to give it all I had with my voice. They should honestly just call Sam Smith. He could sing the Pacer Test and it would bring the world to tears.

As I finished the song, I silently prayed to the Moon Goddess that they would not just laugh in my face. I finally released the last key and turned to them. Queen Fallon had tears running down her face as King Legacy watched me with something unknown in his eyes.

I licked my lips and stood from the bench with my hands clasped in front of my body. I did not know what the hell was going on and if I had the choice, I would run away, not even bothering to find out.

"That was absolutely beautiful, Everly." Queen Fallon expressed, wiping her cheeks, "I want you to go meet the band at once and begin practicing. We will accommodate any vision you have with the performance."

"Precisely," the King gave me an encouraging grin. "Also, Everly, Esme will be in your suite afterwards to get your attire chosen and fitted."

To say it shocked me was an understatement.

"Uh- I- Thank you." I stumbled to find the right words.

After bowing and meeting Lux outside the room, he gave me a smile that would melt a heart of stone. "That was amazing. Why do you look like someone ate your chicken wings?"

"My chicken wings?" I asked with a raised eyebrow. "I just was not expecting them to choose me after hearing that I do not write music."

"I love chicken wings. I would have the same expression if someone ate them." He explained in an obvious tone, then nodded at my explanation.

We talked some more while he led me through the halls until we reached a conference room of sorts. Once inside, I was immediately thrown into introductions of the band and other members of the music staff. This was going to be a long day.

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾Please Vote and Comment☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙