64: A Dark Feeling

"Look, Aiden," I started, pushing open my front door with him in tow, "there's something I have to tel you about the whole Shane thing."

I'd realized the moment lunch had rolled around, I spent it hiding under the all to familiar stairwell, that I needed to clear things up and fast. Sure, spur of the moment it had seemed like a good idea to show Aiden that Shane and I were at least becoming friends. But looking back on it I realized that probably wasn't what it had looked like. You don't hold hands with guy friends who you know have a thing for you. Although Shane understood it meant nothing Aiden didn't. It was high time I just tell him I wasn't interested.

"I totally support it Isa," he urged, pushing on my back to force me through the door.

"No that's not what I',-"

"Get out," my mother's strict voice cut through the air, stopping my explanation short.

My eyes widened in surprise as they landed on both Marissa and my mom standing in the hallway as though they'd been waiting for us to walk through the door. "What?" I asked, my nerves prickling in anger. I'd thought they'd left. I'd thought I'd be safe in my own house again. But it seemed like our parents and my nerves both had different ideas.

"Isadora you need to leave," Marissa said, her voice coming soft and hesitant.

Behind me Aiden shifted and I could hear his steady breathing as he stood just a foot or so away. By the direction of my mother's eyes I could tell they must be looking at each otehr, but I didn't want to turn to look at him to confirm it. I was too busy setting my backpack on the floor and deciding what to say next. "By leave you mean?"

"You need to go now Isadora. You can't be here." my mother responded, her cold calulating eyes turning to land on me.

"Did I do something?" I asked, confused by this sudden request.

She didn't respond however. Just stood there and watched me with her bland expression bordering almost on looking as if she'd just tasted something unplesent. For once my bodies anger calmed down as instead confusion took over.

Marissa stepped up, drawing my eyes towards hers instead. "Marissa?" I questioned in a weak voice as I noticed the somber look on her usually lively face.

"Just stay gone for a while," was all she had to stay.

For a second my eyes darted between the two, my heart racing and my mind a puddle. I didn't know what I was supposed to say.

A warm hand rested on my shoulder and I turned instinctively. As Aiden's eyes met mine my stomach sank. "Let's go Isa," he said softly, giving a gently pull to move me towards the door.

"Just Isadora," my mother stated. Her tone was short and strict, as superior as ever.

I had the silly hope Aiden would disagree with this order, but it never came. INstead his hand dropped from my shoulder and his eyes left mine, darting to the floor as he nodded and took a small step away from me. I opened my mouth, wanting to ask what was going on, but closed it when I saw the look in Marissa's eyes. She wanted me to leave before I asked more questions that could potentially hurt me. I could just sense it.