20. The love birds

Zacznij od początku

Mathur spoke loud enough for everyone to hear. Ziah didn't stop eating the tiny bites of her paratha. Her mood was low and so was her energy. Staying mute, she silently decided to focus on their conversation as best as she could.

"Kab?"

"Today."

Marwan choked on the juice that he had taken the first sip of. Ziah's head whipped up to look at him, her eyes glistened with worry and as she was about to speak to him, her lips on reflex shut themselves when she saw Laiha rubbing his back and scolding him with a scowl.

Gulping down the urge to do something, anything to stop her thudding heart that suddenly felt too painful to carry, she pushed her plate away and politely excused herself, not bothering to glance at the man who was now gazing at her retreating back with a hidden smile.

*****

Marwan buttoned his cuffs with a far away look in his eyes. Last night's conversation revolved in his head- doing nothing to calm his raging thoughts of barriers, norms, what was wrong and what was right.

Taking in a frustrating breath, he ran a hand through his hair. They- him, Aliya and Major Mathur- were going to have a conversation with the driver responsible for it all. But that wasn't what had gotten him all worked up. Maybe it was a certain brown eyed beauty who even refused to acknowledge his presence as though he were a plague.

"Calm down. She's just not feeling well.""

And she was avoiding him on purpose.

A knock on his door had him closing his eyes in utter restraint. His thoughts had never driven him this crazy before and he doubted staying in his mind realm for another second.

"Come in."

The knob was turned and footsteps were heard. A warmth spread across the room and he didn't know if he should relax or allow himself to let the tense feeling in. A hand was placed on his shoulder and his worries were halted by a familiar voice.

"Marwan, itna kyu pareshan kar rahe ho khud ko?"

Madiha knew after their late night talk, a certain change had entered his mind. She knew what she did was utterly foolish but it was needed- it is needed to keep things proper.

"Mama, I-"

He shook his head, not knowing what to say or how to put his point across without coming off as rude and cold.

Shrugging off her touch, he picked his watch and tied it around his wrist. Completely disregarding the need to converse with his mother, he put on his shoes and gave her a glance over his shoulders.

"I'm leaving for now. Raat ko aane mein shayad der ho jayegi."

Not waiting for a reply, he was out of Madiha's sight before she could blink or call him back. A prick was what she felt in her heart for this was the first time that her son had blatantly ignored her- but who was she to complain when it was her fault?

Marwan walked out of the room with heavy steps. A soft clink was heard as he walked down the first stair, something that was not registered by his dazed mind.

Reaching towards the main door, he found Aliya frowning with her phone placed next to her ears, probably a conversation about something she didn't appreciate.

"Daiyan, we'll manage. Tujhe aane ki zarurat nahi hai. How can you leave Parizad alone?"

Marwan shook his head to stop his train of thoughts and focused on Aliya and Daiyan's conversation- more like Aliya's words because the call wasn't on speaker.