Chapter 61 - The Various Emotions of Life, And So It Goes

Start bij het begin

“I don’t have any other relatives anymore,” Wu Xingzi shook his head. Tilting his head, he frowned, “My father’s parents had passed away before I was born, and my mother’s parents too kicked the bucket when I was young. After they departed, my uncles left Qingcheng County, and I don’t know where they went. When my parents passed away as well, they did not return to take a look. I’m the one who has been taking care of my mother’s parents’ graves, and I’m afraid that my uncles, during that great flood, too…”

Sighing, Wu Xingzi dared not continue.

No wonder there were some in the county who did not like him and said that he was bound to a hard life, behind his back. He might really be the only one left alive in this family of around a dozen people.

“Oh?” Guan Shanjin noticed his melancholy, and turned around to pull Wu Xingzi into his arms. Leaning against the bed’s headboard, he let Wu Xingzi sprawl across his chest and listen to his steady, strong heartbeat. “Don’t overthink it. Fate is out of the hands of people. Rather than thinking about those who have passed, why don’t you allow yourself to live a little better.”

“Oh…” Wu Xingzi closed his eyes.

Guan Shanjin’s body was sturdy and full of inner strength. His heartbeats were steady and extremely strong. Through his seemingly slender yet powerful chest, it was as though his heart was knocking directly on Wu Xingzi’s ear, and tingles ran through him. Wu Xingzi’s face blushed a little. He wanted to shift his position, only to have Guan Shanjin hold him tighter. Unable to move, he had no choice but to remain lying where he was.

“Then… have you ever thought about how you’re going to continue your family line?”

These words came as a surprise to both people. Guan Shanjin had not thought that he would actually ask out loud, while Wu Xingzi had never thought that he would ever be asked a question like this.

Wu Xingzi kept silent for a moment. He was a little hesitant, unsure about why Guan Shanjin would ask about something so private. The two of them had always been more like strangers than friends, and were only together for their trysts. In the interactions of the past few months, although they had paid respects to his ancestors and spent the New Year together, and he had also fallen for Guan Shanjin, Guan Shanjin had never asked him many things about himself. Now, they were about to go their own ways, why would he choose a time like this to ask something so private?

“I…” Wu Xingzi murmured to himself and finally sighed. “I had originally planned on ending my life on the day I was forty.”

He had never mentioned this intention to anyone before, and he did not understand why he would speak of it now.

The man, who was originally hugging him, gently stiffened abruptly, giving him a harsh pinch. The pain made Wu Xingzi cry out, and the man quickly gentled his strength. However, Guan Shanjin’s breaths seemed to be burning, like an enraged panther, exhaling hotly as it paced around him.

“Why?” Guan Shanjin’s normally gentle and soft voice was now hard, as if it was a sharp blade gleaming with cold light. Wu Xingzi shrunk into himself, shuddering, and nuzzled his cheek into Guan Shanjin’s chest, placating. Timidly, he wrapped his arms around Guan Shanjin’s well-defined and slender waist.

“I…” Wu Xingzi swallowed, his throat inexplicably dry. He struggled over whether he should tell the truth or not. Guan Shanjin looked to be angered, but Wu Xingzi did not understand why.