down the rabbit hole

Start from the beginning

"Stefan, why didn't you tell me that you wanted the cure for yourself?" Elena asked.

"I mean, why wouldn't I want to take it? I've seen every side of vampirism there is" Stefan said "The power...the misery, the guilt, in the long run, even the good parts kind of suck, too"

"Yeah, I mean, I know why you would want to take it, but what I'm saying is...why didn't you tell me?" Elena asked.

"Because it had nothing to do with you" Stefan said "I mean, you know how much I wanted a human life with you, but being human myself, being normal -- that's something I've wanted since long before I met you"

"Well, I'm glad you told me now" Elena smiled.

"Yeah, what's a deeply buried personal secret between friends, right?" Stefan grinned.

"Between friends? I like that" Elena agreed.

-

Avy moved to stand with Rebekah, the pair entertaining each other as they waited boredly on the beach.

"Hello?" Rebekah answered as her phone began to ring.

"Hey, it's Caroline, we have the translation of the tattoo" Caroline said "We're emailing you pictures of the map and instructions right now"

"Got it" Rebekah thanked "Thanks"

"Actually, it was me" Klaus spoke.

"Nik, you helped?" Rebekah asked.

"You sound so surprised, little sister" Klaus smirked.

"Shouldn't I be? I mean, you don't want me to be human" Rebekah stated "You don't want any of us to be human, why would you help us find the cure?"

"Maybe I finally realised the longer I stand in the way of what you want, the longer you'll continue to hate me, perhaps I want my sister to finally know happiness" Klaus suggested.

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me a hundred times--" Rebekah said.

"No more fooling, no more games, I hope you get to live, and die, as you wish" Klaus said.

"So do I" Rebekah nodded.

"There is one more thing, Rebekah" Klaus began "There is only one dose of the cure, you need to find it first and take it, it's the only way you'll-"

The call was cut off.

"Nik!" Rebekah called.

"There's only one?" Avy scoffed with a laugh.

"Come on" Rebekah said.

-

They trekked across the island, making their way towards a cliff edge.

"What did Caroline say?" Elena wondered.

"I don't know, we lost the signal" Rebekah lied, Avy smirking "Come on, this way"