my brother's keeper

AVY stood beside Caroline outside the Lockwood Mansion, assisting the girl in setting up for the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant, Stefan's voice sounding through the phone that he held.

"What do you mean you're not coming?" Caroline whined.

"You know your Miss Mystic Falls attendance record totally sucks" Avy stated as he sipped champagne.

"Besides, you're a founding family member, by definition you have to be here" Caroline spoke as they moved into the hall.

Caroline watched as one of the helpers incorrectly arranged a bouquet, Caroline grabbing the flowers and rearranging them herself.

"Elena and I broke up" Stefan argued "By definition, I don't need to be anywhere"

"Did that sound as depressing to you as it did to me?" Avy smirked.

"Oh, I'm not depressed" Stefan denied "I just want to rip into someone's artery and feed until I can't breathe anymore"

"So let's go!" Avy grinned "My kill count is almost in triple digits"

"Artie!" Caroline scolded.

"Relax, I don't do it here" Avy smirked "But the Lynchberg and Charlottesville police force are very busy"

"Well, you can't" Caroline smacked his arm "As your sober sponsor, I am not going to let that happen, try and sublimate"

Avy rolled his eyes.

"She said she has feelings for Damon" Stefan admitted.

"What?!" Caroline paused "She can't have feelings for Damon! He's...Damon, and you're...you, and I'm...revolted"

Avy snorted.

"You know, I'm gonna talk to her" Caroline decided "I'm going to shake some sense into her clearly diseased brain"

"Yeah, well I don't know what good that'll do" Stefan sighed "Elena's right, being a vampire really has changed her"

"All the more reason you need to cure her" Caroline suggested.

Elena began to move into the room, spotting Caroline and Avy.

"Look, we've got to go" Caroline said "Be careful, and remember, there is sublimating and then there is insanity"

"I'll be fine" Stefan said "Bye"

Avy hung up the phone as Elena reached them.

"Look, I'm your best friend and I would never pick sides, but are you sure that this is what you want? Because Stefan is your soul mate" Caroline began.

Elena looked up at the girl.

"Sorry" Caroline sighed "Picking sides"

"It's not like I don't love Stefan anymore" Elena began "But I can't deny that ever since I turned, my feelings for Damon have become more intense"

"Yeah, we know" Avy said.

"Stefan filled us in on all the gory Damon details" Caroline nodded.