Chapter 9: A long wait. (Part 5)

Start from the beginning

"So it really was just the usual," Melissa nodded.

"The usual?"

"Councilman Tombre has been trying for years to get approval to take one of the Hero's Candidates. In the end the Church decided that it was Maila's call, being the caretaker she knows them best. I guess since he heard you came into the position he thought you might be a way in."

Kyle couldn't help frown, "Some of the things he said made sense though. Honestly I'm not sure if rejecting him was what was best for the children or just my selfish ideals."

Melissa smiled and reached over gently squeezing his cheek, "The fact that you're having trouble means more than you think. In a good way of course. Also don't take all that old man's words to heart. He's craftier than he looks and that's saying something."

With a deep breath Kyle once more affirmed himself, "Right."

"Now would you like a drink? I kind of need to calm myself down, it's been awhile since I last went on edge," the women laughed. "I've got some pretty good white liquor and the Captain won't be coming back for a while."

"Sorry I really should be getting back. I promised I'd be back at the Garden for lunch."

"Lunch hah?" her stomach rumbled despite having ate all the pancakes already. "All I've got today is bread and cheese."

"Then I'll make sure to save some for you and bring it over later," Kyle smiled to her sweetly.

"Well if you have time," she replied acting coy. "You know you'd make a good wife someday."

"That hits a little too close to home. At least say husband," he shook his head chuckled.

"But seriously if you don't have time, don't worry about me. I'm a grown women who can look after herself despite what it looks like." Melissa postured her arm strongly.

"No it's fine... honestly I need the distraction right now." He paused, "You wouldn't have heard from them yet have you?"

"Nothing so far. Which is usually good mind you. The battle is tonight after all." Her expression softened, "They'll be fine Kyle. Believe it."

"I'll try."

*

Back at the Garden as the night settled in and the children were ushered to bed, Kyle finally had some time alone with Maila. The two sat in their usual seats in the dining room sipping at hot cups of tea. Today had been more hectic than usual with the promised orders Kyle had to cook and the more energetic than usual children. Himila, Kara and Mitsu were especially active now being the oldest Hero Candidates currently in the Garden. It was endearing to see them acting as the older siblings but also looking for praise from Maila and Kyle. Now that they were asleep however, the quiet of the usually bustling home was hard to bear.

Kyle broke the silence, "So I met with a Councilman Philius Tombre today."

Maila's expression immediately turned sour, "You didn't promise him anything did you?"

"No, if anything I rejected his ideas."

"Oh good," she let out a breath more relieved than either of them thought she'd be.

"He had some pretty words but when it came down to it, it felt like he didn't see the children as people... more like tools."

For a while Maila didn't reply and sat holding her cup in both hands as if pondering. Finally she simply nodded, "Some of them can be like that."

"It would be better if they saw the children for what they are," Kyle smiled. "Did you see the drawing Tali made? The girl's only eight and she's already that good. One day she could be a great artist."

"Kyle...," her gaze became tender, "you know that your 'one day' may never come."

His grip on the cup became tighter, "But what if it could?"

"So you'll give up one of the children for a chance to save them all?"

"Of course not!" his voice was adamant. "There would be no point then.... I just want a better future..., for all of them. I'm still pretty young, who knows what I could do."

"That's right Kyle you are young. You could do whatever you want." She looked at him sincerely, "I know your circumstances and we trust you enough to know you won't go around gossiping the truth. If you want to go back home or anywhere else for that matter I can convince Bethial to let you go."

Her words shook his heart but not in the way he thought they would. As much as he wanted to go home, it wasn't the chance to that surprised him but the pain he felt that Maila would just let him go, "Please don't say that. I'm already deep enough in this."

"Because you love Lillia?"

Kyle choked on his tea and almost spat it out, "W-what are you talking about? I don't love he- I mean I love all the children equally."

Maila smiled teasingly, "There's enough tension between you two that you could play the strings to a nice tune."

At that moment he was glad for the low lighting, at least his reddened expression wasn't as noticeable. "I'm still sorting that out so please keep it to yourself."

She laughed, "Don't worry I'm not mad. I think it's cute. When you get to my age, young love like yours is incredibly sweet."

"Your age? You can't be more than ten years older than me."

Her smile turned cryptic, "Ten years can be a long time." With her tea finished Maila slowly stood up from her seat. "I'm going to bed now. Don't stay up too late.... Thinking about it too much won't do anyone any good."

"I'll try not to," Kyle replied sombrely. "Good night."

"Good night."

Alone in the dining room without Maila it felt even colder than before. The tea in his hands now only lukewarm did little to ease his spirits. In a few hours' time the Hero's Guard and Lillia would begin their defence against the demons. Kyle's mind flew back to the reports he read across the past fifteen years. Hundreds of lives lost, not just the children. In all that time there had been no incident where the Hero truly failed. If they ever had, then not just the lives of some, but thousands if not more would perish against the demons. How could he sleep knowing the pressure Lillia and Tai were going through? The worst part was all he could do was wait.

Hours passed as Kyle remained seated. The cup in his hands empty and the remaining tea in the pot finished. Just as he thought he'd never sleep a strange pull twitched against his chest and his eyes began to darken. He shook himself back awake forcibly but not even a few seconds later he felt the same tug and before he knew it his consciousness faded.