"I can't move without feeling pain," she said. "I won't tell you you're right for wanting me to get up sooner and more often, but I should have. My body's shut down on me. I can't move my legs."

Tears filled my eyes and I could feel my body starting to tremble.

This wasn't supposed to happen. She wasn't supposed to become unhealthy. She was supposed to be able to spend more time with me! Why did she suddenly become bedridden?!

"NO!" I cried. "YOU HAVE TO GET UP! YOU'RE MY MOM, TOO! YOU CAN'T JUST BE HAPPY WITH PIPER AND GIVE UP NOW THAT SHE'S DEAD! I WAS YOUR BABY FIRST! WHY DON'T YOU CARE ABOUT ME ANYMORE?! WHY DID YOU STOP?!"

My mom stared at me, looking guilty and apologetic, but I couldn't stop myself from breaking down even more. Even though she was silent, her eyes begged me for forgiveness.

"I don't know," she suddenly said. "I don't know why, but I'm sorry I did.... You just look so much like him, I couldn't help it. I can't."

Those words were the last I wanted to hear. I stormed out of my mom's room and slammed the door of mine closed. For a couple of hours I cried, wondering why my mother hated my father so much that she hated me just because I happened to look like him.

I fell into a deep pit of fearful thinking; knowing that my looks were the reason why mother didn't care for me, I pondered about how I could fix them.

One Month Later...

It'd been twenty-nine days since I had last visited my mother's room. I needed some time to collect myself and think if I really wanted a relationship with her. This woman had neglected me for absolutely no reason other than the fact that I look like her ex-husband. She was a cold, ignorant, resentful human being. Nevertheless, she was still my mother.

"Cooper? Wh...why are you wearing sunglasses in the house? And your hoodie's up? Were you outside?"

"No," I muttered.

"Uh..."

"You hate seeing my face, right? I look too much like him, don't I?"

My mom frowned a sad, sorrowful pout as I stepped to the foot of her bed. "Sweetie—"

"I don't mind," I muttered. "I'll cover my face everyday with no problem if it means you'll stop hating me... Really, I just want a mom that'll love me back."

So I did. I covered my face with glasses, hoodies, hats, face masks, and scarves whenever I visited my mom for the next two years. Of course, I grew up hating the fact that she only felt comfortable giving me any kind of affection when I hid my face, but I loved how much attention she gave me now. She was finally playing games with me and even asked her doctor for some medicine that would completely paralyze her for a few hours so that I could move her around the house without putting her in any pain.

I eventually got my mom a basic wheelchair with some money I'd earned through a lot of stupid bets with school friends. It was a little pricey, but my mom's reaction to the chair was priceless. I wished I'd been smart enough to record the moment; I would've watched it over and over and over again.

"Coo-coo Bird," my mom sniffled. "How'd you get that? They're so expensive."

"Do you like it? I just, I know it hurts when I move you around, so I got this... Plus, I want to go outside with you. I want to have picnics, and watch stars, and—"

My mother wailed and sniffled and sobbed for a while. I thought she hated it, hated the idea of being seen with me, or hated the fact she needed one so soon...but then she threw her arms out for me and gave me the tightest hug I'd ever gotten. In fact, she gave me the first hug anyone had given me in months.