Chapter 13

TW- burn

I went downstairs and saw an older woman sitting, laughing with Helena. I recognised her immediately. 

"Goodmorning love! Y/N sweetheart, this is my mum Elena" she smiled. Elena stood up and hugged me straight away. 

"Gosh, you are so beautiful! I wasn't expecting Helena to call and tell me she was adopting a child" she chuckled. "Thank you, Elena! It is so nice to meet you" I smiled.

"Sweetie, you can just call me Grandma if you'd like" she smiled. "Of course, I'd love that" I giggled. 

"Y/N darling, my mum knows everything. I had to explain to her why I adopted you... if that's alright" Helena said, a little worried. "Of course, that's fine mum. I think it's important for Grandma to know your reasoning behind your actions" I smiled. 

"Would you both like some tea?" I asked them. "Yes please love, if you don't mind" Elena said.

"Please be careful button" Helena said, "I will be don't worry" I smiled and made my way into the kitchen leaving them to talk. 

I started boiling the kettle and preparing the mugs. But when I went to pour the hot water into the mugs, I slipped and poured it on my hand. I let out a small squeal, I didn't want to worry anyone... especially not after Helena just told me to be careful.

I ran my hand under some cold water to try and reduce the burn. I only ran it under for a few minutes in case they got suspicious. I continued making their tea, trying to be more careful. I grabbed the mugs and brought them back into the living room.

I handed Elena hers first then Helena. As soon as I gave them their tea I hid my hands behind my back. "Button..." Helena said as I sat down, still hiding my hands. "Yes, mum?" I asked innocently.

"Please show me your hands" she said calmly. I shook my head. "Y/N!" she slightly raised her voice. Out of fear, I lifted my hands above my face to protect myself. "Oh no, no Y/N it's okay. I'm not going to hurt you button! I just want to see your hands, I heard you yelp in there"

My breathing sped up a bit and I refused to move my hands. She looked over at Elena for help, "Y/N sweetie, it's Helena! She isn't going to hurt you" Elena said softly. I then realised where I was and who I was with. 

"I'm sorry mum" I sniffled, showing her my hands. "Oh baby, you scolded yourself didn't you" she sighed sympathetically. I nodded, sniffling. "My sweet girl, I'm sorry if you thought I was going to hurt you" Helena said softly, slowly bringing me into a hug.

"I didn't mean to do that mum. I know you'd never hurt me" I whispered. "Have you run your hand under cold water button?" 

"Yeah but only for a few minutes" I sniffled. "Okay sweetheart, let's go put it under the water for a bit longer. Won't be a moment mum" 

She brought me back into the kitchen and placed my hand under the cold water. "I'm sorry mum" I whispered. "Oh, no button it's okay! I know you didn't mean to hurt yourself" she whispered.

"It's just because you told me to be careful and I- I burned myself when I was pouring the water into the mugs" I said. "It's alright button, it was an accident!" 

After some time, she took my hand out from under the water and turned off the tap. "Does that feel better?" I nodded, the burn looked like it had calmed down quite a bit compared to earlier. "I'm sorry I tried to hide it from you" 

"It's okay button, I'm glad you could tell me. I'm sorry if I scared you love" 

"Will it heal?" I asked quietly. "Yes love, it might blister first but you'll just have to be careful" she smiled. Kissing it better. 

"Is everything alright in here?" Elena asked, putting her mug in the sink. "Oh love, that looks painful" she sighed, taking her hand in mine. 

"Mum kissed it better" I smiled. "Ah, well then. I guess it'll heal quicker" she winked at me. 

I smiled at them both.