Chapter 9: A long wait. (Part 3)

Start from the beginning

Karen laughed amused, "You'd think he'd grow tired of trying to peek on us after all this time. Remember that one time he succeeded?"

"I try to forget."

"He couldn't move for three days after that. I think that's why he started training to become so stealthy."

"It would have been easier for him if he just let it rest. He's setting a bad example for the children."

"It's his way of showing he cares." Karen slowly rose completely satisfied. "Thanks. That should be enough. Unlike you I can get changed myself so do what you want."

"Hey dresses are hard," Estile pouted at her sudden tease. "I'll be in the workshop if anyone needs me."

It was a peaceful day like most were. That wasn't to say something bad wasn't happening somewhere. The world was big after all but here where she was, where her friends and family were, it was calm. Estile walked the Villa happily. For once in a long while there had been no calls for help and all the Mercenaries of the Ever-Garden were at home. A part of her wanted to think it was nothing but she and the others as well felt a simmering tension, like the calm before the storm. Nonetheless she wouldn't let it faze her as she walked outside and towards the workshop detached from the Villa. On the way she could see the children she called her own still in the yard, a few were sparing together, others painted and played ball games while some simply chatted. It was a nice day to just exist.

Once inside the workshop she headed for a sealed chamber. A sign saying 'Danger, please knock and only enter when called' was plastered outside. Working with machinery could be dangerous and even more so when magic was involved. Estile lightly skipped to a large well like object that contained a spiralling blue liquid that glowed with streams of white. Her movements were practised as she began to check the various instruments that were embedded to its side and finally with a nod she dipped her hand inside and churned the liquid causing strings of light to fly upwards.

"Alright," she whispered to herself and picked up a set of discarded armour dropping a single piece into the liquid. As the strings rose her hands passed through them causing them to entwine and fold around each other. Each movement was precise and calculated showing a depth of knowledge few could fathom.

A knock interrupted her and the door opened to reveal a flaxen haired young man holding a tray, "Estile are you in here?"

"One second," Estile quickly tidied up her work and pulled the armour out. "It's pretty rare for you to come in here Arvel, did you need something?"

"Karen said you'd be here. I was wondering if you wanted some cookies before they were all eaten," he offered her the tray of baked goods. "I had more but Riften stole them and nicked off somewhere."

"Oh thanks!" the girl immediately jumped up and took the tray eating one of the cookies straight away. She grinned, "Like I thought your cookies are the best."

"Well years upon years of working to your tastes helps," Arvel smiled. "What are you working on?"

"Armour," Estile replied easily while snapping another one into her mouth.

"Armour?" he looked behind her. "Isn't that a bit big for you? Not that you really need it."

"It's not for me. I'm trying to make something anyone can wear. Like a one size fits all deal. Just in case any of the children need to put it on in a hurry."

"So it's going to just magically attach itself?" Arvel nodded impressed.

"Kind of. Though right now it doesn't really work. It's hard to find materials that can support so many enchantments." She pinched another cookie and placed it in her mouth mumbling, "It's a work in progress."

He laughed, "Who knows one day maybe all of us will be wearing one."

"We'll see," Estile placed down the tray and stretched her body. "So did your cookies also come with lunch?"

"It'll be ready in a bit. If you helped in the kitchen for once maybe you could make it quicker."

"As much as I hate to admit it, I'm pretty useless when it comes to cooking," she huffed. "Don't tell Kyle I said that."

Arvel chuckled and headed for the door, "When you're done let me test out your armour and I'll feed you more cookies."

"Done deal. Just don't blame me if it crushes you a little."

The two looked at each other warmly and slowly the world faded away.