deal

The moon shines high in the sky, and everything around us is quiet. Beside me Chizuru sighs worried <<do you think Itou is already dead? I'm anxious>> I put a hand on her shoulder <<me too, but we can only wait>> and I look toward the moon <<we must trust them>> and I sit on the engawa. She follows me, sitting down <<but, will they be able to convince Heisuke to come back? If he returns in the Shinsengumi...Hijikata promised to let him live>> I shake my head <<i don't know, but Harada and Nagakura are his best friends, if someone can convince Heisuke to come back...it's them>> she nods, smiling a little <<you're right>> but then, we hear someone running toward our direction.

Yamazaki runs toward us <<i finally found you two. You aren't supposed to go out alone, it's dangerous>> Chizuru bows <<i'm sorry>> and I sigh, feeling bad <<sorry for worrying you, but at least if something happen I can protect Chizuru>> but Yamazaki shakes his head <<please, the vice-commander ordered me to protect you both, but I can't do it if I don't know where you are. So please get back inside, we don't have time>> I look at him puzzled <<what do you mean? Did something happen?>> he nods <<but I don't have time to explain here, I need to gather everyone in the main hall>> Chizuru nods <<we can help you>> and then we begin to run around, searching for the others.

After a few minutes me, Chizuru, Yamazaki and Inoue-san were sitting inside the main hall. Saito is not here because he's guarding the outside with Sannan-san, and Okita is sleeping. Yamazaki sighs <<we didn't find Shimada, but I can't wait any longer. we'll just have to start without him>> and Inoue-san nods.

I bit my lip anxious, and Chizuru asks with a trembling voice <<has...has something happened?>> and she looks at me with fear in her eyes. I take her hand, trying to reassure her <<please Yamazaki, tell us>> and he nods looking at us. Inoue-san frowns worried <<did Itou's assassination not go as planned?>> but Yamazaki shakes his head <<no. The assassination was a success, and we were able to lure the guards to Aburano Koji with his body and surround them. Unfortunately, we were interrupted by a third party just as we were about to deal with the guards. I am assuming it is the Satsuma>> me and Chizuru gasp surprised, and Inoue-san frowns more. Shit...this is bad.

Chizuru turns pale <<oh no! Are Nagakura and Harada and...and Heisuke all right?!>> he nods <<our men are outnumbered, but we have the upper hand in skill. Still, i'm unsure how long they'll be able to hold off such an overwhelming force>> and he looks at me <<they need help>> but Inoue-san worried adds <<then we need to send reinforcements right away. Shimada and i can go...and also Nura-san if she wants>> and everyone look at me. I stand up, but then an explosion of noises from outside makes us jump surprised.

We freeze, but after a few seconds Shimada breaks into the room <<we're under attack! it's a demon!>> I snap my tongue. Fuck!

Chizuru jumps on her feet <<what?! right now?!>> but Inoue-san gets up and says <<oh, I doubt it's a coincidence. Can you give us any details, Shimada-kun? Is it just a single demon, or are there two or three?>> Shimada nods <<only one, he's blond and thin and has a sword. However, I'm not the one who saw him first, so maybe there are more>> Yamazaki frowns <<Kazama Chikage, did you already alert Sannan-san and Saito-san?>> but Shimada shakes his head <<no, but the young recruit who gave the alarm said to leave it to him. He was probably a rasetzu, so he surely will warn also Sannan-san>> and then he takes a big breath.

I frown puzzled <<how did you know he was a rasetzu? Their hair becomes white only when they are fighting or when there is blood around, right?>> Yamazaki nods worried <<or also when they are thirsty...so Shimada, how did you know?>> Shimada blinks surprised <<because...he didn't have a hand, so it's impossible that he is a normal soldier because he wouldn't be able to fight>> I turn pale <<oh no, he's here>> Yamazaki jumps on his feet <<Nura-san, it was Mikio?>> I nod worried <<he's here for me>> and Chizuru gasps.