carefree moments

I flatten myself against the wall, peering into the next hallway. Right now everyone is busy packing their things, so everyone is inside their room. The only person who is not packing is Okita, because Hijikata ordered him to rest and don't do anything...so he can't pack and can't go on patrol thanks to his illness. Okita is of course angry for that, but his tuberculosis is getting worse... and now he also has a fever all the time, and he coughs much more...so I'm relieved to know that he is forced to rest at least a little.

And the cherry on the top is that Yamazaki was the one entrusted with the duty of packing also Okita's things...so Okita is of course really pissed off for that, and this is why I'm here.

I sigh, but then someone puts a hand on my shoulder, making me jump surprised. Mana chuckles <<i see that someone's on edge, you should also watch your back in moments like this, you know?>> I roll my eyes annoyed <<and you weren't supposed to arrive from the other hallway? Well, it doesn't matter. we're ready?>> she crosses her arms <<of course. I told Shiro that Karasu Tengu was looking for him. He ran away immediately, probably in search for Chizuru's help. So this mean that we have more or less ten minutes before he understand that I lied>> I nod <<yeah...Chizuru is smart, and she know us well. It won't take her long to realize that we lied to Shiro>> and I shake my head <<i don't have anything against him, but...i really didn't miss how Shiro always follow me everywhere because he's my bodyguard. At least you don't follow rules, and this is why I like you>> she smirks <<you can say that again. Now, it's best If we begin. Do you and your friend have prepared everything?>> I nod <<of course, when you've done your part I will take that book and hide...and Okita is already waiting in the courtyard in the back with the sack>> she nods happy <<good, then...it's time to play >> and she walks toward Hijikata's room.

She knocks, and in a few seconds Hijikata opens the door with a really irritated face <<what do you want? If you are searching for Nura or her brother they're not here>> but she shakes her head <<oh no, I wanted only to try something. Why did the chicken cross the road?>> and I cover my mouth, trying not to laugh.

Hijikata looks at her puzzled and angry for a long moment <<what?>> but Mana crosses her arms <<come on, just go along with it...or are you really as grumpy as the others say?>> he growls <<i don't have time for this nonsense, go away>> but she didn't move <<well, i'm not leaving until I finish my little story>> but he slams the door in front of her face, leaving her out.

Mana sighs annoyed, but then she starts knocking repeatedly on the door. After thirty seconds Hijikata open's again the door, screaming <<cut it out!>> and I shake trying not to laugh. I also see Mana bits her lip for a second, trying not to laugh <<i will, only if you play along. So...Why did the chicken cross the road?>> he looks at her for a long moment, with a really angry and annoyed face... but in the end he growls <<why?>> and she smiles with an innocent face <<to get to the idiot house>> and she knocks amused on the wall near <<knock knock>> Hijikata rolls his eyes <<what now?>> but she shakes her head <<no no, you have to ask 'who's there?'>> and Hijikata takes a big breath...probably for control his anger <<who's there?>> and she chuckles <<the chicken!>> and she laughs a little. Hijikata immediately slams shut the door of his room in front of Mana, leaving her out.

I chuckle, noting that he reacted exactly like Shiro when we used the chicken's joke with him. He was so offended that he immediately kicked us out of his room.

Mana shrugs <<mmh, tough crowd, but...>> she smiles <<also familiar. Okay, it's time to use the hard way>> and she quickly opens his door, running inside the room.