assassination

I turn another page of the notebook in my hands. I bit the pen in my hand thinking, and then I write something on the page. A voice nearby says <<i can't believe that you really are doing your homework>> I look up, seeing that Okita is watching me annoyed.

He's lying in his futon, with a heavy blanket that covers him. I sigh, happy that in this new headquarters the rooms are bigger. The last time I tried to do my homework near him, he kept stealing my pen because he's bored...so now I'm in the corner of the room, and he can't distract me too much.

I shrug <<i don't have nothing better to do, so why not? Besides, I don't want to fail the exams>> he sulks and sits up <<you are always using that excuse, it's getting boring. I'm going for a walk>> and he stands up, but then he begins to cough. I quickly stand up, but at the same time he fells on his knees. I run toward him <<Okita!>> but he covers his mouth with his hand <<stay...cough...stay away!>> and he continues to cough.

I sit near him and frown seeing blood on his fingers, so I take a handkerchief from my yukata and offer it to him.

He roughly takes it and covers his mouth...and in a few seconds the handkerchief becomes red. I look at the scene sad, without be able to do anything more...and after a long minute he stops to cough. He doesn't look at me, but we didn't need to say anything. His tuberculosis is getting worse.

Also Hijikata forced Okita to stay in bed, and he also forbidden him to work and go on patrols. He understood that Okita has something serious, and he's trying to help...but for this Okita is really upset.

Right now it's autumn, and Kondo-san asked me to stay with Okita and look after him, because it's getting cold and he always try to go outside. However, I can't really do anything to help him...so at lest I want to stay at his side and keep him company.

Okita sighs and frowns <<don't look at me like that, or I'll kill you>> I blink surprised <<like what?>> but he still doesn't look at me <<like I can no longer do anything. I...i can still be useful to Kondo-san>> I nod, happy to see that he still want to fight his tuberculosis <<i have no doubt, but right now...it's best if you rest a little more>> and I put a hand on his shoulder <<it's almost dinner time, and I'm sure someone will call us soon>> and then we will be able to go out and walk a little, because we still eat with the others in the main hall.

Okita didn't answer, but puts a cold grin on his face <<now that I think about it... I haven't killed someone for the Shinsengumi in a long time>> I roll my eyes <<yeah, but at least now your clothes are not always covered with blood. it's really difficult to wash it away, you know? Me and Chizuru washed your uniform a lot of times and it wasn't funny>> he chuckles a little <<tell me more about your home>> and he puts away the bloody handkerchief.

I blink surprised <<again? What do you want to know this time?>> but he lies down, placing his head on my legs <<what's your favorite thing about living with a bunch of yokai?>> I blush a little, and casually caress his head <<well...it's difficult to answer because I like many things about that>> and I smile nostalgic, thinking about everyone <<there are a lot of demons inside my house, and they are really a lively group...so I always had a lot of fun>> I grin <<after all...grandpa and dad already killed or kicked out the problematic ones, so the most part of who remain are really good people, like Tsurara for example>> Okita asks <<the yuki onna inside your memories, right? The legend about them says that they like to kill people during snowstorms, but she didn't look even able to hurt a fly>> I laugh <<you're right, but she can be dangerous if she wants, trust me>> but he hums unconvinced.