Chapter 57.

Shravan's POV.

The man Sumo was questioning was her family member but my Sumo held her ground. He looked at her before looking away, his head bent and shoulders stooped.

He had a defeated look on his face even before a word left his mouth.

He had practically seen Sumo grow up in the Tiwari household and now he was facing her in a criminal investigation.

I turned slightly in my attempt to see the reaction of others.

One glance was enough to confirm this had been a surprise - rather a shock for others. Sumo had not shared this detail with anyone.

How did she realise the person's involvement without anyone's help? There had been not enough time for her to do field work or dig up details that were so old.

Then I remembered the courier package I had received!

I had taken the package inside Sumo's room and it had been there for a long time. It must have been easy for her to guess it had information about the case and she must have checked it.

The intentional involvement of an adult family member was going to have consequence beyond what mind could imagine or words could portray. This was the reason I was unsure to what extent I would use this proof. However now with Sumo brining this out in the open I was left with no option to choose from.

"There is footage of you talking to Mr. Shravan Malhotra before he entered the premises where the crime occurred. Can you explain the reason for this?" Sumo asked.

"It has been many years, I do not remember. Shravan and his family have been close to our family for years. My talking to him anywhere should not be seen with suspicion."

I was stunned at the smooth response. No guilt, no side tracking! This man was certainly not what I had thought him to be over the years.

"Under normal circumstances this explanation may be valid however not in this case. I will urge you to jog your memory and think hard. Every detail is vital." Sumo emphasized making me sigh in satisfaction. My Sumo is making this easy for me.

"I do not remember anything extraordinary." The man insisted making me cringe slightly. He knew he was in the wrong yet he was not even worried that his words could ruin my life.

"Mr. Tiwari I have a footage that shows you giving Shravan something to eat. With the possibility of the accused being drugged prior to the crime, your not remembering could create problems for you." Sumo said looking straight in the eye of the man who finally had the sense to realise he was in trouble.

I held my breath waiting for the man's response.

"I remember now. The child, Shravan had got hurt and was in an unhappy mood. I had given him some sweets to cheer him up."

Sumo nodded and turned to face the court. "Can we please play the clip for everyone to see it?"

The clip was played and paused at the point and zoomed in. I indeed had a bandage over my right ear. I had fallen down from a tree during lunch break in school and had hurt myself.

"Thank you My Lord." Sumo continued and looked back at the man standing in the witness box.

"What you did was a very normal and relatable gesture Mr. Tiwari." Sumo said and the man actually looked smug.

"Do you normally carry around sweet with you or was this a mere co incidence that you had one to offer them to a 'sad' child?" Sumo asked with a deadly calmness knocking the smug look right off the man's face.

"Er- um-" The stammer in his voice made me want to jump and hug Sumo. "This had been on sport day and I had been expecting children of the household to win some prizes so I had purchased some sweets in advance to reward them."

"Did you give sweets to the other Children?"

"I did not get any sweet! Did you get any Preeti." Pushkar asked in a loud whisper however he was audible enough to be heard.

"Sweets meant for human children may not be for Pigs." Dadaji said sounding reasonable.

"Papa you cannot talk now. Court's proceeding is going on." My father said in a hushed tone.

"Are Goats Lawyers for Pigs?" Dadaji boomed and among confused murmurs and slight laughter the Judge had to ask for everyone to stop talking.

"Mr Tiwari do go on. Did you give sweets to other children?" Sumo continued.

Sumo nodded "Thank you Mr. Tiwari for your co operation. That will be all for now."

Suman's POV.

The look on Shravan's face pinched at my heart. I know I have ruined this proof for him. However he has to understand the outcome would have been same even if he had been the one asking the questions.

My Babloo Uncle was obviously not who we had been thinking him to be over the years. Just recently we had found he was the biological father of Preeti. He and Pushpa aunty, my mother's younger sister had kept this a secret for so many years.

I could not blow away everything selfishly. Shravan declined his turn to question Babloo Uncle and I knew he thought this was a dead end.

"I would like to ask some more questions to Mr. Shravan." I said and saw his head snap up in my direction.

His eyes were blank. No anger, no malice at what I had just done. He quietly walked to the witness box.

Sumo: Mr. Shravan, as per the detailed report submitted by you, you have mentioned you believe children are drugged then hypnotized before being compelled to commit a crime.

Shravan: That is correct.

Sumo: Do you think the same happened in your case?

Shravan: I am convinced that is exactly what happened to me.

Sumo: Who do you think drugged and then hypnotized you?

His eyes moved towards Babloo Uncle. I sighed bracing for my next onslaught withpit giving him a fair chance to respond

"Actually that is not really important." Shravan looked at me in shock.

"I mean, who drugged, if at all you were drugged is not as important as who hypnotized you." I continued. "More importantly were you hypnotized at all as you claim to have been."

"I have no reason to lie." Shravan said softly.

"I beg to differ. You have every reason to say things in a way that would make the case easier for you."

I took a deep breath trying my best not to sway at the hurt expression on Shravan's face.

"Mr. Shravan Malhotra. You may think you were hypnotized that day, however I can prove it that you were not hypnotized.

"So Miss Suman Tiwari what you are trying to say is that he committed the crime knowingly?" The judge asked taking me by surprise.

What made him jump in right at the middle of my questioning Shravan?

"I have not yet finished what I was saying your honour." I said addressing him directly. "Another thing- My name is Suman Malhotra, Mrs Suman Shravan Malhotra."

&&&

Updated on 12th April 2022.

I hope the Chapter has been a good read.

What do you think will happen now that Sumo had cleverly manipulated the vital proof that could have helped Shravan in a big way?

The culprit in question is Babloo Tiwari- or is he?

Do stay tuned as more twists are about to be uncovered.

Love, from me to you.:)