Chapter 27- Hello (And Goodbye Again)

—————

His plan consisted of a lot of parts and unknown (but probably low) chances of succeeding, so when Dabi said, "No way", he probably should've expected that reaction.

"Wh-"

"No," Dabi stated. "Your plan is to intentionally get caught, bargain with the heroes beforehand, and get us all in the Rehab Program, which all hinges on Monoma of all people? Just to get to your dad? After I told you how much I hated U.A? After our group attacked U.A?"

"...Yeah?" Izuku winced. "...I know-"

Dabi snapped, "Didn't you just tell me you were sorry for putting me in the Rehab Program?"

"I was never 'sorry' for putting you in the Program," Izuku said. "I was sorry that I didn't put more attention on you, that I never helped you when you needed it. But rehab versus jail? What's the better option there?"

"Jail," Dabi deadpanned. "What makes you think that this time, I'll like rehabilitation better?"

"You'll have more friends around you," Izuku said. He grabbed a random photo off the floor, and it showed a nine year-old Tomura showing him how to use a video game controller. "We could make more memories like this."

"Didn't that result in Shigaraki accidentally disintegrating the controller?"

"Yeah... wait, how do you know about that?" Izuku asked. "You weren't even around at that time."

"Inko told me." Dabi snorted. "But anyways... that's still a plan I'm not willing to go along with."

"...If you don't want to do it, you could always leave right now," Izuku said. "There's still some of the abandoned hideouts that are around the city."

"And leave you all to get trapped?" Dabi said. "No way."

"You just said you didn't want to join!"

"I don't," Dabi sighed. "but I don't want to abandon you either."

"You're not-..." Izuku started, but the sentence died on his lips. When he looked at Dabi, the man seemed to be stoic, but his eyes had a twinge of frustration peeking out. He'd never seen that expression before U.A, but in the past month, it was more prevalent.

He seemed lonely. Looking back, Izuku thought about their quarrel about Shoto, and he was angry, but he must've been lonely too. He fought with Izuku, who'd been on his side forever, only to see him defend his youngest brother who didn't remember him. And Himiko... well, she was off trying to enjoy her school life, despite her struggles with her friends.

Did he leave because he was lonely too? Did he want to go back to the League, because that's where everything was comfortable?

"I won't get mad if you decide to leave," Izuku said. "but if you decide to stay, I promise I'll be supporting you the entire way. I'm sure everyone else will too."

"Would you still be hanging around Shoto?" Dabi asked.

"...Of course," Izuku said, and he smiled when the other teen came into his mind. "I owe him a lo-"

"Give me some time to think about it," Dabi interrupted. "I'll figure out what I want to do..."

"...Alright," Izuku said. "I'll leave you be."

He left the room, unsure of what to think. Dabi either stayed or he didn't, and whatever option he chose, he'd have to do it quickly.

"Did you talk to Dabi?" Himiko asked.

"I did," Izuku said. "Are you going to go in? Be quick when you do, because he's deciding if he'll go along with the plan."

"Aw, okay," Himiko pouted. "but okay!" She swung open the door and slammed it shut.