Chapter 15- I Can... But I Won't

—————

Izuku did some pondering before he fell asleep, because he got hit with so much information it kept him awake like a little bee buzzing around his head. Or a swarm of bees. Or a swarm of wasps.

Katsuki was a weird person, Izuku was sure everyone knew that. But he couldn't remember much about him, despite that. 

And the kidnapping experience too. Izuku... didn't remember getting kidnapped. He didn't remember much about his life before playing with Tomura. He didn't know he had a life before playing with Tomura.

Izuku wanted to hit something. He wanted to yell at something, someone. He wanted to yell at Kurogiri or his dad or anybody because he had a life and a best friend and maybe, if things were different, he could've lived a normal life.

...A normal life, with his mom and Katsuki and no training and danger and a life where he could have become a hero like he always wanted.

The thought kept him up late at night, restless, turning over in his pillow and shivering even under his blanket. His stomach ached, and he felt it churn at every opportunity. If he was never kidnapped by his villain father, his mom would be alive.

Villains... heroes... Izuku could see what that boy was talking about now. No... he knew what the boy was talking about, the feelings he had, the experiences they went through.

They'd both lost things to villains and heroes, and it ruined them. 

He remembered how unfair everything seemed, when villainy seemed like his only purpose for a long time, and how he just wanted to be normal.

But he'd also met Himiko and Dabi and everyone else in the League, and by coming here he got to meet Shoto and Denki and the rest of 1-A. 

But then again, was it really worth losing his entire life for a couple of relationships? 

Izuku ended up hugging his pillow tightly for the remainder of the night, trying to find the balance between what he lost and what he gained.

That boy sure lost a lot more than him though... Maybe Izuku could help him, even if he couldn't help himself.

——

Izuku didn't feel too motivated for the third day. Katsuki was a master at hiding how he felt, Izuku was sure he could pass as a spy or infiltrator. He and Himiko would make a scary team.

Dabi was alone and silent, and if Izuku was being honest, it worried him. Dabi didn't like heroes or training or training regimens made by heroes, but that silent disposition around the rest of 1-A and the teachers were different than the first time they arrived at U.A.

Izuku hadn't talked about Dabi's attitude since passing the Beast's Forest, and that conversation last night didn't help. For now, he focused on training since the teachers were watching him like hounds, but he made a note to talk later.

While doing push-ups in the edge of the forest clearing like a loser instead of training his quirk, Izuku was able to see just how hard everybody else was working. He could see everybody. There were many people in there he owed. It encouraged him train harder.

He did so many push-ups and sit-ups he almost wished Tiger was with him instead of playing a rigged version of hide-and-seek with Himiko. It didn't seem like Tiger was mad at him, but hard work and effort seemed to be the only way to make up for his mistake.

And he was even still allowed to play in the test of courage Pixie-Bob announced! Perhaps it really wasn't that big of a deal...? But literally cutting a hero's hand... maybe they just didn't want to ruin the mood.