Chapter 9- But Then The Nerves Kick In So...

—————

Izuku kept poking at his meat and vegetables during lunch. He should've been eating, considering that's what lunch was for, but whenever he tried focusing on his food, his eyes always ended up scanning the cafeteria around them.

Shoto accepted his offer. Which meant he should've appeared at least sometime during lunch, right?

Izuku didn't think Shoto would be the type to forget or ditch at the last minute but...

"Hey," said Hitoshi's voice. "if you poke any more at your food, it's going to turn into mush."

Izuku blinked, turning to the purple-haired teen. He then looked down.

Oh, his food was turning to mush. What was once a mix of stir-fried vegetables and meat was now... well, a pile of mush.

"Chill out, Mido. I'm sure Todoroki's gonna come 'round eventually." Denki said, taking a big bite of fluffy bread.

"How'd you know what I was worried about?"

"Hm?" Denki looked puzzled, a bit of bread sticking out of his mouth. He pushed it in. "It's kinda obvious though."

"Really?"

"What else were we supposed to think? " Hitoshi snorted, taking a piece of Denki's bread. "Sorry, but you're not that unreadable."

"Hey!" the gold-haired teen exclaimed. "Don't take my bread!"

"You can take my soda. I don't want it." Hitoshi said back.

"Wait, really? Thanks!" Denki grinned happily, swiping the can of grape soda from the purple- haired teen's tray. He cracked it open, and started drinking it more excitedly than anyone drinking soda should've been.

Izuku picked up a bit of his food and put it in his mouth, thinking silently. Denki and Hitoshi said it was easy to tell he was thinking about where Shoto was, but that still didn't answer where the teen actually was.

He looked over his shoulder again. Still nowhere. He turned back.

"By the way, Mido, you said you had something else you wanted to talk about, right?" Denki asked, wiping his mouth.

"Yeah..." Izuku nodded, biting his bottom lip. 

He thought about yesterday. That memory that resurfaced... Between the blurry background and the hazy words, was his 'friend,' weren't they? With their bright, fiery orange quirk and haughty smile?

And with that feeling, Izuku kept thinking about Katsuki. His face and movements were so familiar, and maybe that's why he thought he was the same friend with the orange quirk.

It might've been easy to tell if Izuku used his quirk to pull out Katsuki's own but of course, he wasn't about to do that.

After thinking about it for a few long seconds, Izuku eventually settled on the totally not super suspicious sentence that was: "Did Bakugo have any other friends outside of U.A.?"

Denki blinked in confusion, before just shrugging. "Uh, I'm not sure, actually. He's never said anything about his family or friends or anything. Don't think he was too popular though."

"I HEARD THAT, PIKACHU!" Katsuki yelled from another table, waving his fist in the air.

"Maybe you can answer my question then," Izuku called back. "Did you have any friends outside of U.A. before?!"

"And what's it to you, broccoli head?!" Katsuki shouted. "Why should I tell you anything!?"

"Excuse him for his rude way of getting his message across!" Hanta said loudly.