CHAPTER 27

For the last two days, I spent my life in lab. Not literally. I stopped by the apartment only to shower myself and Bet, then back to the lab in a vroom. Preparing for the greatest speech of my life is stressful as hell even though I did it only in my head, that now on the third day I resume listening to the tape records from Gerard's experiments.

Since the last time I got caught, I was looking for a better place to secretly listen to it. I discovered none. So I'm back to the terrace top of the building.

"Day 477. A not-so-fine Tuesday night in the month of may of 2015." says professor Grace in a low whisper.

"Why are you whispering Grace?" Professor Stephan asked her in a not-so-whispering voice.

"Shush. We shouldn't be talking about this."

"Well he did tell us not to mention it but since you already did-" Professor Zach said as he did something with glassware, test tubes I assume.

It was three tapes earlier, almost a month in real life, that Professor Gerard tripped and fell down in the laboratory while the tape was running. Grace says that he already noticed all the other initial symptoms of the disease beforehand since he has been specialized in that region. One test is all it took for the professor to be officially diagnosed with this threatening disease, breaking him and his team because of this fateful incident. Professor Grace explained their situation, through a tape without professor Gerard knowing about it. She thinks that since the tape carried their journey in sound, it should also include their hardships and failures, not just the progresses. You're correct, Grace. She cried mostly while talking, but still maintained a low voice to avoid attention. They must have had a very bad time. Hearing them laugh made me laugh, to find peace and fun in their jokes and carelessness. Her cries were more devastating as I whimpered low, lying down at this very terrace a few days back.

"Hey, hey. Professor is coming. Keep it low."

I hear Professor Stephen rushing through the door. Hearing this part and imagining it as a scene in my mind took me back to my school days. Usually when something naughty would be going on in the class hours, there'll be that one kid who looks out for the teacher's appearance to give out the signal. As the soon as the teacher arrives, we'll be the perfect silent class with no traces of violence or games.

"Hey, lads."

It's professor Gerard and as soon as I heard him, a lump formed in my throat. I have no idea how the other three remained strong in front of him.

"Hey, professor." Chanted the three.

"Why do I get the vibes that you three are doing something suspicious?"

"Yeah?-" Professor Grace tried laughing it off.

"Stephan is ready with the report, professor."

Professor Zach redirected the path of discussion to a little safer route, but not so safe for professor Stephan since that report is definitely not ready.

"Wha-"

I can imagine how his face must have went all horrified and hopeless. Even though I have an idea what these people look like from a group photo of them from years ago which I found along with the tapes, I have assigned different figures for each of them in my mind. My own version of their lives. My kind of role play.

I laughed pretty hard for that. The tape was immediately cut dead by some sense-full person before it recorded the aftermath of their little lie, most probably Professor Zach. I wonder what must have happened.

When I turn around to take my next tape out of the bag, I notice someone standing near the door at the stairs watching me. I don't want to deal with him right now.