CHAPTER 13

Fortunately the gym had a refund policy. Jules was sad but I reassured her that I would go for a run everyday and workout whenever I have time. As to why I was leaving, work schedule is getting tighter by each day. I am losing count to how much I'm lying because of this man. I even skipped today's lunch. Can't afford to run into him twice in a day and return with a broken expectation.

Hera was confused too when I told her what happened but she always defended him. He must not have recognized you. Of course she can't afford to get on his bad side since she is the one stuck with him for the next two years or less. She changed the topic pretty fast to get me off the stress and the topic would be today's party. She was really excited about the whole thing. Dresses, cosmetics, drinks, dance and music. Nothing got her this much excited than parties do. And when she organizes one, even though it's in her house, she does a really great job just by herself. We are to gather at Ridha's apartment for dressing up and would go to the party venue together afterwards. 

I'm supposed to meet Hera at 6pm but since I spent half of my day locked in my lab, busy with writing this month's end report to be submitted on Monday, I lost track of time and ended up being an hour late. As we rushed to Ridha's neighborhood, we ran through the stairs (there was an elevator but we were too busy running to notice) and threw open the door which was for some weird reasons kept unlocked.

"Sorry, we're late." 

We cried in unison. 

It took a minute or two to get adjusted to the lighting. It is dark, the ceiling is bordered with blue neon light strips, walls covered with movie posters and her creative art works. I have visited her home in broad daylight and it looked completely opposite to what I'm seeing now. It looks like a club. That day it was clean and tidy, now it's not. That day it was quiet, now the whole place is drumming with loud music from her Bluetooth speakers. That day she was alone, now there's a guy whose hand is all over her body. They both turned around to look at us as we stood dubiously at the entrance.

"Um, sorry. We'll come later-"

"No, no. Come in guys."

Ridha stood up from her couch and walked over to us, rushed us in and closed the door properly this time. She switched on the lights and the neon lighted room shifted to a normal one. 

"Hera, why do you look so..."

"I know."

I look really worn out, not like someone who's ready for enjoying a party. Hera put an proud face when she said-

"I'll turn this crazy scientist into a Cinderella. Give me an hour."

"An hour?!"

Hera gets what she demands. One hour went by as she took care of my face and hair. Even though I said no to most of her supplies that she brought, she managed to take one full hour to make me look acceptable. A bluish green cocktail dress, light makeup and well set wavy hair. I look pretty for the first time in weeks. Hera always looks gorgeous but today she looked stunning and sparkly in her pink bandage dress, fake eyelashes and high heels. Ridha is in her lavender tulle dress and by the time I was out of her dressing room, her boyfriend Aaron Hart, was nowhere to be seen, but he doesn't have the right to leave cause he's driving. Aaron is a sports guy, a professional soccer player, tall, broad and blue eyes, exactly how we picture a player to be. He seemed pretty comfortable with me and Hera, or Indians in particular. He didn't give us any weird stares which is usually experienced by all Asians in a foreign land. It's been more than a month here and I'm pretty much used to the Asian discrimination, at least it is not so critical than what we face in India. Aaron is not a small chat type, neither am I, so we didn't talk much except small nods and smiles, but something about him felt comfortable. I guess that's what pulled Ridha to him from the middle of a party. We picked up Ryan and Neil on our way. Ryan was neatly dressed, as casual as possible, but Neil, I'm a hundred percent sure that he just woke up from his bed.