CHAPTER 4

Oakland International Airport

It's a twenty minute ride to our apartment that my cousin Ridha arranged for us (she's such a sweetie). The us includes just me and Hera. Ryan will be staying with Dr. David in an apartment next to ours. I am so exhausted right now that if they let me, I'll sleep the night off on the airport floor. There's a slight misunderstanding. It's morning here.

"How long should we wait?"

"They'll be here any minute. Don't be impatient."

Ryan was annoyed at my annoyance. I mimicked his reply immaturely. Google even has a term for it- an ad hominem attack. It's something people do when we know we can't win an argument.

"Tara, go sit down. I'll go check on them." Hera's eyes were glued to her phone. 

With all the sitting throughout both the flights that took me here, I was happy to stand for a while but now..

"What? No. I'll stand. I don't want to sit. No way I'm sitting."

"Woah, okay. Cool down will ya?"

"She's just grumpy after the flight."

Ryan assured Hera and she gave him a nod. She took her phone to talk to someone and walked away. Hera and Ryan are three years older than me which explains their sisterly and brotherly acts towards me. Especially after my mom gave them the responsibility of taking care of me before leaving to Berkeley. They're still my best friends, just a little extra protective and I don't hate it. They actually completed their doctorate program in clinical virology just a few weeks back, but are not officially Dr. Hera Singh and Dr. Ryan Davis yet. Their project here is a collaborate one with the neurology department of this university. Hera was going on about the professor who's going to work with them. The only thing I remember from her conversation of him is that... Nothing.

"How's she able to call?"

"Connect to the airport Wi-Fi."

I must be losing my peace of mind with each minute's delay of me falling into my bed. A nice shower and sleep. That's all I want now. I pull out my phone from my sling bag and switch it on. I thought I'll call mom when I reach the apartment but the sooner the better. I choose the voice call beneath my mom's profile. Video call is not an option cause my parents will be terrified to see my like this. Messy hair, falling out on to my black t-shirt from all sides (just too tired to retie it). Unlike Hera who was ready with all her make up on- she had all kinds of accessories in her sling bag. All I have are my pods, candies and more candies. My face was yellowish due to sleep deprivation. There was a very recent, big, red wine stain on my light blue jeans which happened from the flight (I may be a little clumsy). The travel bag I carried on my back was nearly as big as me. My left hand was clasped on my trolley's handle tight- not likely of it being rolling away from me but still, it's a childhood fear of mine. Mom picks up almost immediately after the call started.

"Did you reach the apartment, Tara?"

"No, mom. I'm still at the airport."

"Did you find Ridha?"

"No, mom. She should be waiting outside with her car."

"Why are you making her wait, Tara? She's already doing us a lot of help."

"I know, mom. Apparently some people from the university are coming to the airport to receive us. I've informed Ridha about this before and she's okay with it. So don't worry. Wait, I've already told you too."

"I must have forgot. Well video call me when you reach. Eat something properly before dozing off-"

Ryan nudged me with his elbow and I nudged him back out of habit. He gestured me to come along and I nodded shifting my attention back to mom.