CHAPTER 2

"YOU ARE GOING TO CALIFORNIA?"

My brother asked from upstairs with a mock expression, stressing on the California part, with his left eyebrow curved up, running his way to me. His excitement level reaching his limit by each second that's passing. He is probably hoping for a World War 47. No, 48? I lost count after the fifth one that happened in our house long ago, me locking myself inside my room so that I don't see my brother being nearly blown into pieces from my parent's attack. The cause of that war is still unclear to me.

"Can't you read the room, baka?"

P.S. We were anime buddies once upon a time.

"Come on, I want a say in this too"

"Don't you have your semester exams coming up? Go study, Aarav."

I tried to shove him back towards his room with my hands. I know it won't work but still I can at the least try. He started looking at me with those puppy googly eyes of his. A small sigh left my mouth. Now I have one more to deal with. I was growing more impatient waiting for them to halt their skin piercing looks which were, of course, aimed at me. 

"Mom. Dad. Say something." After a second's gap I added "Please."

The last word made them relax a little, but their faces were still in an expression of thought.

"Now, Now. Explain the so called research thing you've been listed in."

Aarav was looking at me with a smile, more like a smirk and it clearly meant Look, you need me. And the smirk soon faded into a serious expression which I assume is I've got you.  He is acting really sweet all of a sudden, and supporting too, like a younger brother always should be. He has been a pain for the past 22 years. Yeah, from the day he was born. Just some high level exaggerations. I gave him a small thumbs up from behind. No point in hiding it, my parents noticed. They'll know everything I try to hide. Oh, yes. I've to answer his question which is still hanging around in the room somewhere. It's time for the second paragraph from the already prepared speech.

"Look guys-" Guys?  What am I saying? Not so surprisingly I just messed up the second word.

"-It's my first year assisting Dr. David in his research, right? 

I wasn't expecting any reaction other than a nod, which I got, thankfully.

"But since I already completed and submitted my thesis paper during my masters, he said I can skip assisting and do the doctorate program..." Mom looked worried. Dad still in thought.

"... which is good cause that's exactly what I want to do . I've got a concept about the possibilities of degeneration of a motor neuron that I would like to try experimenting-" Now they looked clueless.

Tip 2: Delete the scientific terms to make it less horrific.

"It's just something from my study. So this team leaving for California will have fifteen people from five divisions- like neurology, which I'm a part of, there's oncology, virology, and others."

Man, this is exhausting. I already damaged my whole speech with my stupid nervousness. They're my parents for god's sake. Keep the cool.

"So three people from each division. There will be professors in the team too, they'll be the ones overlooking and leading us." Get to the good part. Fast. 

"We are allowed to continue with our research and they will provide us with all financial and technical support." 

They are definitely not satisfied. My brother was looking helpless, enjoying my well prepared but purely executed performance.