CHAPTER 14

The hangover lasted for two days and five hours. It finally ended when I consumed enough caffeine to cancel out the effect of the wine. My lab is a mess, experiments are due and I have a non complete report to submit. All because of a beach party along with the extra credit concert which left me bizarre. No one noticed the fifth member of the band, the one with the guitar, so my intoxicated brain must have made it up. But it felt so real. I should really stop with the buts.

I concentrated an entire week on my work to make up for that night. My report was submitted two days late but professor David didn't seem to mind. I do. Because within two weeks my trial run to refer Dr. Gerard's works ends and I think I'll have to pay the premium. There is still a lot of content to cover and without any assistance I'm literally suffering. I'm already nervous about when I'll have to start my independent research.

It's late night and it's the first time I've been out of my lab since two whole days.

"A fundraiser."

"Don't count me in, Hera."

Their virology-neurology collaboration project is gaining a huge momentum. The new lab is a success. For the efficient functioning of the lab and the workers, of course funds are necessary but is seems that it is exceeding the university's budget. A fundraiser program with other universities and institutes is an intelligent move, but why drag me into this?

"Budge in just for two hours, Tara."

I shook my head.

"Hera, it's not like I don't want to. I have lots of stuff pending-"

"You are coming. Neil needs a partner."

What? 

"Partner? What are you planning, a game show for couples?"

Ryan smiled at me and I gave him a please help me out of this look.

"Listen, Tara." Ryan started "Czes, Laura and Helen are coming too. We need people from our university."

"But I have so much to do, Ryan."

"Everyone is busy, Tara. It's not just you."

Hera answered in place of Ryan. She sounds so scary.

"Take some of the post graduates."

"They have practical exams coming up."

Why are Hera and Ryan so adamant about taking me to this fundraiser?

"Look, Tara. Come, okay? It would be easy for us if it were you in place of any others."

Ryan sounded so genuine and Hera nodded along.

"When is it?"

"This Saturday."

I smiled at Hera and she was pleased. Ryan knows exactly how to make me agree to something, he uses the you're important to us tone and there you go, I'm all yours. They already started the preparations for the fundraiser since our university is the host. I can never compare myself being in their situation, working and arrange a fundraiser simultaneously, it's totally out of my league. 

"Tell me if you want me to help with anything."

A formality but this time I really meant it. 

"No. All you have to do is be present at Chou Hall sharp 6 P.M. Neil will pick you up."

The rest of the conversation was about the preparations. Preparing invites, arranging food, making the games ready or whatever they're planning to do and the most important of all, the accounts section. I clearly don't know how this whole fundraiser thing works, neither do they, and that just makes it more difficult to prepare. When I asked about the events of the program, they seemed quite excited to not let me know.