CHAPTER 26

It's Sunday evening and as promised to Krish yesterday through text, I am getting changed to a sparkling red ethnic floral crop top and off white khadi long skirt with golden designs to attend today's pratipada (first day of Navratri festival) pooja. I raise half of my hair for a pony, leaving the rest to fall down on my back and fewer strands in the front. I scavenge through Hera's ornamental section of her room to pick out a white stone sequenced earring to match my skirt.

As requested by the professor, I spent the last four days in my lab to finish the remaining set of experiments. I submitted my report today morning. From tomorrow, I won't be stealing anyone's ideas nor be taking advantage of other's creativity. I'm starting my independent research. From tomorrow, I'm free. 

I have been avoiding all kinds of contact, physical and digital, from Czes and Laura for the last four days. They have been brainwashed by Shaurya to make me talk to him somehow and looks like they have brainwashed Ryan and Hera as well I guess, since they hinted for me to try talking to Shaurya at least once to settle this off. They never forced anything on me. Not a bad idea but I don't care to bring myself to listen to him. He is just a townsperson for me now. In the last four days, I've been running into him more than usual, coincidental or not, but keeping my pride I walk right beside him. 

I rushed downstairs since Krish agreed to pick me up in five minutes. Hera and Ryan walked out from a familiar Tesla and came up to me once noticing me. The car drove around to the parking lot of our building.

"Why is he here?" I ask the approaching Hera in a formal shirt and pencil skirt.

"You do know that we are collaborating right?"

Oh. I almost forgot that.

"Yeah, I know." 

I say looking at the road for any traces of Krish. If he manages to reach here before Shaurya does after parking, I promise I'll buy Krish a- He's CEO and rich, what will I buy for him? He must already have everything he needs.

"There's an exhibition and conference taking place in Manhattan. We just got the information. It is still three months away but the preparations need to start now. There'll be a meeting to decide who'll to the speeches and other things for the exhibition." 

They had a meeting. 

I suddenly noticed Ryan being awfully silent. Well, he's kind of busy looking at Hera with his eyes glued to hers. His eyes lined each and every corner of her lips. When she smiles, he does too. What's more sweeter than witnessing your best friends in love with each other?

"When is the meeting?" I ask containing my happy smile.

"Probably early next week. Now, is that Krish in a kurta pajama?" 

Her eyes landed on the side of the road. I turned around and spotted him in a red kurta, the same color of my blouse and off white pajama pants to go with it. He walked towards us grinning. 

"Now, tell me you didn't plan dress codes for a pooja."

Krish and I exchanged beaming glances at each other in surprise. We didn't plan it.

"Nope." We chanted together laughing.

"Tara, are you not going to introduce us?"

Of course. It's their first time meeting each other. 

"Hera, this is Krishna Das- the hot shot CEO"  I say winking at him  "And Krish, this is Hera Singh- my bossy bestfriend."

"Call me Krish." He chipped in with a handshake.

"And Krish, this is Ryan- my other bestfriend who's deeply and madly in love with my bossy bestfriend."

Ryan rolled his eyes at me with a defeated smile. They shook hands.