"What are we, Levi?" She asked. To her it was an important question—one that would shut the voice in her head up.

"What do you mean?"

"Are we lovers, friends, partners, each others playthings?"

"Is it necessary to put a label on our relationship?" Levi asked, confused. He thought she knew what they had...but clearly they weren't standing on the same page.

"Yes and no."

"Y/N, if I didn't like you, we wouldn't have a working friendship—"

"So, we're friends?" she cut in, that sunken feeling in her heart dug deeper into her chest.

"Tch. I'm not done," he said. She mumbled a quick sorry. He sighed, waving her apology off. "As I was saying, I liked you so much more than I thought I would that I knew, at least on my end, that a friendship wouldn't work."

She bit the inside of her cheek, feel that painful sting in her nose as tears crawled their way up to her eyes as he closed the gap between their bodies.

"I want something more with you," he whispered resting his forehead against hers. "Something more than just friends."

"And what would that be?"

"The most intimate form of a relationship—love."

She let out a sigh of relief burying her head into his chest, arms wrapped around him. "I'm scared..."

"Of what?"

"Being with you," she admitted.

"What's there to be afraid of?"

"Everything. What if my father comes after you?"

"I'll have his head before he can lay a finger on my hair."

"Titans?

"I'll have their napes before they have the chance to crush me."

"And Erwin? The team? The higher ups? What if—"

"Our relationship is none of their business."

"But you're my superior, wouldn't being in a relationship with your subordinate be asking to be scrutinized and criticized by everyone under the military watch?"

"Then let them."

"You're not afraid?" She asked looking up at him.

Levi shook his head. "Why would I be? Dating on the job isn't a crime."

"Bias?"

"It can't be helped...and I can't say I haven't pulled some strings for you. However, that said, it's my responsibility to ensure that when we're working, my feelings for you doesn't cloud my judgement; as it is yours to recognize your responsibilities as a soldier."

"This sucks," she pouted.

"Get used to it, brat," he leaned down for a quick peck in the forehead. "I don't plan to let you go."

Her smile grew wider. "How cheesy. Who would have thought the cold, stoic Captain is actually soft and squishy."

"Soft and squishy?"

"Yeah," she said poking his cheek. "It's a delight to appeal to your softer side, sir." Y/N's her hands cupped his cheeks, connecting their lips. His hands dropped to the curve of her back, resting above her hips.

"Let's get out of here for a bit," he said against her lips.

"Where to?"

"Out...we both need a break from this place, and I still owe you a date."